307/ exhaust leak in intake manifold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyg329

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ
hey guys, my worst olds (83, 307 stocker)started making what sounds like a manifold header leak noise from the intake manifold?! i checked the intake gasket area/choke plate and egr valve, no leaks there. Literally sounds like its coming out of the carb? the new motor has about 700 miles and this just started. Doesnt sound like valvetrain noise either. I cleaned the egr ports in the manifold when the motor was disassembled, is there anything known to crack or anything causing an "exhaust" leak in the manifold? i noticed my car surges slightly now when cruising (during egr operation conditions) so im kinda confident its egr related. It justs annoying, all the manifolds are sealed, the head plugs for the AIR are all tight and i just put flows on it, but all i hear under load or cruising is that damn exhaust leak sound (if one more person tells me my header gaskets are leaking im going to explode haha). Any ideas or experience with this kinda problem?

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Ive had the little tube for the egr that actually goes down into the motor break but i cant remember if it made a sound like that. If i were u id just pull the little egr plate and check the tubing and make sure thats not ur culprite. In reality that should be the only thing or place that could make it do that would be either a busted egr tube or something cracked on the inside of the manifold letting it up inside and ecoing out the carb

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Joeyg329 said:
hey guys, my worst olds (83, 307 stocker)started making what sounds like a manifold header leak noise from the intake manifold?! i checked the intake gasket area/choke plate and egr valve, no leaks there. Literally sounds like its coming out of the carb? the new motor has about 700 miles and this just started. Doesnt sound like valvetrain noise either. I cleaned the egr ports in the manifold when the motor was disassembled, is there anything known to crack or anything causing an "exhaust" leak in the manifold? i noticed my car surges slightly now when cruising (during egr operation conditions) so im kinda confident its egr related. It justs annoying, all the manifolds are sealed, the head plugs for the AIR are all tight and i just put flows on it, but all i hear under load or cruising is that damn exhaust leak sound (if one more person tells me my header gaskets are leaking im going to explode haha). Any ideas or experience with this kinda problem?

Well, there's an exhaust crossover that passes directly under the carb, so the possible leak points are:

1. EGR valve
2. Choke hot air tubes
3. Intake manifold gasket at the crossover.

My money is on #2.

Joeyg329

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ
You were right joe, the plate for the choke coil tubes was leaking in the corner under the choke itself, the one spot i couldnt get my finger over to feel for leaks. Took it off and made a gasket for it. . . quiet as can be. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor