307 intake manifold gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
Yup, it's about that time, mine is pissing anti-freeze all down the back of the engine and on the trans. I can get the part easily enough jsut wondering if there was any part of this procedure that's gonna be especially shitty or anything like that. It's gunna be my first time doin anything this major on a car and would just like to know about any potential hang ups.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I just did this the other day, took only a few hours of work.
Be careful on driving it that way, if it is oozing out the back of the block then it can possibly be oozing into the lifter valley as well and possibly hydro-lock your engine due to coolant in the oil. Check to see if you have any coolent in your oil

It's a fairly easy fix though, be sure to drain out about 1/4 of the coolent to avoid a mess when pulling the intake off and so no coolent gets into the block.
Also, use Permatex Black on the front and rear block rails and around all 4 water jackets inlets.
To make your life easier clear everything out of the way so you don't fumble and mess up the sealant when you go to put it back on.
You shouldn't have to remove the carb, just disconnect the gas line as a whole from the front of the carb and the fuel pump so it's not in the way and also remove any vacuum lines, hoses and plug wires.

Make sure to change the oil after you're finished, it's a must.
Good Luck!

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
Be sure to inspect the intake manifold around the water ports at both ends, the combination of dissimilar metals and some low quality coolants used in the eighties caused a lot of pitting and corrosion. If some minor pitting exists, a good RTV around the water ports will take care of it, but I've seen some that needed to be replaced. Just something to be aware of, not to be scared of though.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
carbuf said:
Be sure to inspect the intake manifold around the water ports at both ends, the combination of dissimilar metals and some low quality coolants used in the eighties caused a lot of pitting and corrosion. If some minor pitting exists, a good RTV around the water ports will take care of it, but I've seen some that needed to be replaced. Just something to be aware of, not to be scared of though.

Before you pull the intake, be sure it's the intake and not the heater control valve.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
okay well it's been a crappy week. My rad popped cuz the damn thing over heated on my way to the garage I was workin on it at. So new radiator and gasket. And to top it off, my buddy dropped the q-jet and busted stuff up, since I don't care to pay someone to rebuild the thing (BIG $$$$), I was able to snatch up a CCC q-jet from an 86 monte 305. Got it all in and hooked up, but now the damn car will not start. Could be my battery is dead from all the test starting this week. But if it isn't anyone know the difference between these 2 q-jets and how it might pose an issue?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Did you mess with the distributor or plug wires?

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
okay it starts, but idle is extremely high. How do I turn the idle down on this darn q-jet? just use the screws on the front or what?

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
Someone has gotta know about this stuff on here!
I'm thinkin i need to adjust the tps to the setting for a 307 rather than leaving it at the 305 setting. Q-jet is off a 85 monte, non HO 305. Got the linkage, fuel line, and vac stuff sorted, but the thing either won't start or runs like *ss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor