307 Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2021
I recently changed my AC belt on my 307 olds. And I took out the smog pump pulley along with the belt and upon putting it back the smog pump started squealing very loud and started to smell burnt and so I thought hmm maybe its just the smog pump cause they are known for seizing up. So I just put a Rebuilt one from NAPA auto parts and the b*st*rd still squeals and smells burnt and the smog pump got hot. So I am wondering what’s going on? Is there something I am not doing right? I need some help on this anyone? Thanks

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Make sure the A/C belt is tight enough. Was the smog pump put back on exactly as it came off? Olds put stupid spacers everywhere to make removing accessories a nightmare.

Reactions: 1 user
May 17, 2021
Yea I mean I put everything back as it was, I’m not sure what exactly I am missing ? I mean as far as I know before replacing it its just had 2 screws on the pump top and bottom locked with a nut and the pulley I mean its just 3 little 10mms on it I mean Im not sure if I need to torque the bolts on the pulley down or is just enough right? I’m lost? Or maybe its just the new smog pump that’s defective, I mean it is rebuilt. But yea Im not sure if I’m missing something?

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
It's saying remove me I dont do anything in this day and age and is just adding to the cluttered mess of vaccum lines that go no where really and are probably og and full of cracks. 30 year old smog equipment are first thing to go when I get car, straight to the pipe shop for plugs for the heads(olds)exhaust manifolds(Chevy) I know it's not every one's choice but to each there own

May 17, 2021
It's saying remove me I dont do anything in this day and age and is just adding to the cluttered mess of vaccum lines that go no where really and are probably og and full of cracks. 30 year old smog equipment are first thing to go when I get car, straight to the pipe shop for plugs for the heads(olds)exhaust manifolds(Chevy) I know it's not every one's choice but to each there own
I do want to get rid of it but since I live in California I get to get robbed with all these taxes and all this smog bs. And I don’t want to get messed with so I might as well just keep it how it is. For sure later on I do want to get rid of this 307 and put a 350 something with a kick you know

May 17, 2021
Do you have the belt to tight? A properly tightened v-belt should move up and down at least the width of the belt. To tight will put drag on the bearings.
Yea the belt moves up and down it feels nice but now Im not sure if the pulley on the smog pump spins or not because it should spin along with the belt right? Because I started it up yesterday and I only see the belt spinning and the pulley is not. And it got the pump hot so I would imagine it spins right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor