307 upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Cold starts with the Q-jet, or really most Rochester carbs since at least the late 70s, have generally been easy. Even with the temps as low as 0 degrees F, it was always, on the first start up of the day (or any time where the engine itself is COLD):
- Floor once, release
- Start car.
- Wait a few seconds, tap gas to bump down the idle speed slightly (it'll still be fast idle, just not AS fast)
- Give it about a minute or so.
- Tap gas again - idle may or may not drop further
- Drive (gently until completely warmed up, or at least until idle is down to normal "warm" idle speed)

That's of course when everything is working as it should.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Dripz1985 said:
Yea. I looked on google on gunning a carb and all it said was fuel an air ratio. I pump the gas 2 times turn the key no start, pump the gas again 2 times and still no start, pump it 1 time after and then it find starts.

If anyone has any tips on running it would be great!

Hard starts with carbs are more common today because of todays fuel but generally you should be able to get things working OK. Does your hard starting happen every time, only when it's cold, or only when it's hot?

If it happens when the engine is cold ( sitting out over night ), it can be caused by fuel leaking out of the carb. Sometimes the fuel can even siphon out through the carbs inlet. That can be caused by not having the fuel filter installed properly ( or at all ) because it acts as a 1 way check valve when installed correctly. I've also heard a bad fuel pump can cause this too. Pour a little fuel into the fuel bowl of the carb before starting it in the morning. If it fires right up then you probably have your fuel leaking out of the fuel bowl when it sits for a while.

If it's hard to start only when hot, it can be an incorrectly functioning choke or fuel percolation.

Dripz1985

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2014
I looked today and I have the 5a whatever it is.

ronbz455

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2013
You need my 403 olds engine but you will still have the same carb symptoms but more power!

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
The 5a huh? that's actually good news. A good tune will wake it up for sure. You can get parts for it that will work on the 307 and the 350 or 403.

ronbz455

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2013
Yes I'm in Indianapolis, In and I want to spend my money on the Buick 350 so the 403 Olds is for sale. Crank is .010 .010 and polished and the 403 block has been checked for cracks and needs bored and decked because of some rust in the cylinders and the deck has coolant deterioration so with flat top pistons it would be a killer engine but if you put a big cam in it I would go with the block girdle cause it will have a lot of power.

ronbz455

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2013
Here is a pic of the crank.

Attachments

• 2014-01-31 19-37-21.270.jpg
    2014-01-31 19-37-21.270.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 2014-01-31 19-40-54.269.jpg
    2014-01-31 19-40-54.269.jpg
    563.2 KB · Views: 257

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
Quit wasting money on old carb'd motors. Go get a 5.3 or 6L from the yard and swap the cam and valve springs with something mild like the z06 for the 5.3 and get 350rwhp. Fuel injection is the best way. Take it from a guy whose built a $3500 402HP dyno'd Gen 1. You can do this whole swap for under $2000 and you'll like this setup way better than a rebuilt Olds 403, 350, 455 etc..old motors are great but an avg 9-5er gets alot more for his money going newer..and BETTER. But if nostalgia is your goal then chase it with a mindful eye on your dollar in ratio to gains in HP and performance. You pop your hood and it's a nice tucked LSX swap then the nostalgia guys will have to give you the pass. I've seen it too many times for the BOP sticklers..The 6L gawd has spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor