307 upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
I agree on learning new tech, and not necessarily pouring money into the 307, but everyone has to start somewhere... He asked about how to improve his 307, and a number of us have answered with that information. As in other threads here and elsewhere, people are too quick to answer with "...just swap in a *** Chevy."

A CCC, carb'd 307 is a great intro for learning how engine management systems work. A properly tuned 307 should get close to 20mpg in mixed driving with a 200R4, w/ 3:42 or numerically less gearing... provided you dont bury the pedal and open the secondaries at every stop light. Best he learn how to fix, modify, tune, & drive what he has before he steps up and tackles a project like that... especially being in high school. More Noobs jump into projects that are way beyond their skill level because TV shows, Car Mags, & "Common Knowledge" dictate that its cheaper and easier. The evidence is all over Craigslist and your local cars/projects/parts papers.. Ive been on the hunt for a good 5.3 for my 92 Chevy... most look like they've been sitting in a salt marsh, the remainder are either of questionable integrity or are priced out above the $1000 mark. With all due respect, Even if he manages to find all of the pieces to build an LS driveline for "cheap"... the knowledge, fabrication skills, & all of the required tools add up to a lot more time and money than most high schoolers have... especially in this economy. Pulling an engine and transmission is, in itself, an adventure in learning, nevermind trying to put together a LS drivetrain.

When I was in high school, (early 90's), I was making $8 an hour when Massachusetts min wage was $4.25... Sunoco 94 Octane gas was about a $1 a gallon and Sunoco 104 was about $3 a gallon... I had plenty of tools to borrow because RWD were still dominant and lots of people still worked on their own cars at home... Today, its wholly different... there's a lot of people who think they are mechanics because they own a Craftsman wrench & socket set... but I'd bet solid money that I'm one of the few people in a 10 block radius of my home that has the knowledge, storage space, and tools to tackle an engine swap at home... and God only knows how much money I've tied up in tools and parts over the years...

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It used to be just swap in a Chevy, now it's swap in a LS since that is the fad the market is pushing now. Frankly I have never seen what is so cheap about LS motors either. Parts for them cost twice to four times as much as SBC. The tuning software for LS starts at $500 besides buying credits to be able to keep using it. Good 5.3s don't start below $1,500 and are always incomplete. All the other stuff they need to run are always extra charge. Then there are all the adaptors, custom exhaust work, mounts, crossmember, DBW, fuel pump, fuel lines, complex EVAP system, cutting the driveshaft, and wiring. After all that the car now must pass the emission standards of the year of the LS motor, install a OBD2 port under the dash and rewire up the SES light. In reality most people can't do a LS swap under $4,000 at least.

Really if one is so concerned about being modern, why mess around with Gbodies at all? The whole car is very outdated with a poor suspension and a flimsy frame that even in decent shape starts twisting apart around 400 HP. A factory LS powered car would be a far better starting point for cheaper. If one wants to dive into new tech, then get a car that was built in the past 15 years. A 30+ year old car is a poor choice for diving into "modern".

When I swapped my 231 out for my 305, it still wasn't easy even through it is a direct factory bolt in. A engine not designed at all for the car will be even harder and more expensive to install, especially with completely different technology than what the car was designed for. Paid $250 for a complete and running MCSS powertrain, motor, TH200R4, crossmember, computer harness, all the belt driven accessories. $125 for a 2040 Powermaxx cam, $100 for used TES headers, $20 for used ZZ4 intake and $100 for a new V8 rad. 240 HP for well under $1K.

Dripz1985

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2014
Currently in search of a sbc 350, can I use my olds trans?? And is there a post going step by step of a 307 to 350 swap

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
BOOOOO!!!! :doh:

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
What he is saying is it seems like that's the route most people take. The olds engine may be a tad more expensive, but the swap is direct and straight forward. All small block olds engines share the same dimensions, mounts and bell pattern. Big blocks are just a little wider and taller. Theres no step by step needed.... just reverse the process of pulling the 307.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
But from a legal standpoint the only larger engines one can install are either newer SBCs, LTs, or LS since the larger BOP motors are too old to be legal swaps for most G bodies, especially 80s. It is a shame for the BOP guys.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
You can run a Olds 350 in place of the 307 and can barely tell its not a 307. The 350 Olds runs just as clean as a 307 and you can run it off your 307 computer. The only thing that will be different is the air pump. Where the air pump pumps air into the heads and Cat converter, on the 350 you can just use the Air pump to the Cat only. I've gotten 455's to pass sniffer test with flying colors and it ran off the computer the same way i just said. A rebuilt 350 Olds swap I did in a 85 442, ran cleaner than the 307 HO that came with it. It's not brain surgery and may not be legal in most states, but it will pass most of the emissions test as long as the motor is tuned right.
Unless you take it to a Olds knowledgeable shop, most won't even question it.
Disclaimer for Big brother: I am not telling anyone to do anything. Lol :mrgreen:

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
86-blk442 said:
Unless the car is emissions exempt.. My 86 only gets a safety inspection now that it is over 25 years old. Depends on local laws really.

X2. This is most likely the case with all of our cars now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor