350 flex plate/torque converter bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
What the hell kind of bolts/nuts do I need for this setup? Neither the flexplate nor the TC is threaded and the bolts from oriellys are even too big to slide through.

Engine is a Chevy performance 330hp crate engine
TC is an unknown high stall.

I'll update with pictures in a bit

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 334
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    836.3 KB · Views: 343

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Go with all grade 8 hardware on that. Use threadlocker. I'm guessing that takes a 3/8" bolt.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Not sure. I just asked for 84 Monte Carlo SS flex plate bolts. I measured the bolts and look to be 3/8, but they are marked with an M so could it be metric? I'm more confused by the lack of threads on either. Is it common for FP/TC bolts to require nuts as well?

When I pulled the 3.8 and 200 the bolts threaded right into the TC.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Not sure. I just asked for 84 Monte Carlo SS flex plate bolts. I measured the bolts and look to be 3/8, but they are marked with an M so could it be metric? I'm more confused by the lack of threads on either. Is it common for FP/TC bolts to require nuts as well?

You need grade 8 (6 dash marks on the head of bolt) 3/8-24×3/4" long with matching high strength nuts and some blue loctite. I always use ARP bolts for these critical areas as you don't want them backing out, and use the torque spec they suggest for the bolts. Some Oreillys carry them, i usually get them from summit racing. Part #ARP-230-7301... $17. Hope this helps.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
What the hell kind of bolts/nuts do I need for this setup? Neither the flexplate nor the TC is threaded and the bolts from oriellys are even too big to slide through.

Engine is a Chevy performance 330hp crate engine
TC is an unknown high stall.

I'll update with pictures in a bit
What's the flexplate from? Just noticed you said the bolts you got won't fit through the hole.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Usually the backup is welded to the torque converter, at least with stock stuff. You will be allright as long as the hole size in the flex plate is the same as the torque converter. The "M" stamped on the bolts they sold you for the stock setup indicates those are Metric bolts.
http://blog.chiltondiy.com/2013/12/how-to-recognize-metric-and-sae-bolts-2/
It would be best to measure each hole with a digital caliper micrometer to compare them. You can get one inexpensively at Harbor Freight or even the Home Depot if you don't have one. They are a great tool to have in the box. If you don't want to do that try a 3/8 bolt and see how it fits on each side, and if it's not 3/8 try the next logical size. Just be sure in the end you use Grade 8 hardware if they are standard thread bolts (USS Course or SAE fine) or that they are 10.9 tensile strength if they are metric. Use the blue locktight as previously recommended. My gut says Scott gave you the part number you need above for ARP brand hardware which is great stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
well I test fit the bolts that came off the original TC and flex plate and they fit well. i think I was just over thinking it. It just didn't seem right to have the flex plate resting directly on the threads of the bolt.

Should I use lock washers on top of blue loctite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor