350 Olds Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Alright i have been told i can't put a cam in my 350 rocket with the 8 heads but i know someone has done it b4 tell me would it be worth it because i cant find olds heads anywhere and i drove a delta 88 with a olds 350 and 8 heads. I was pretty pleased with the response and power and it was bone stock no type of mods but can someone answer this and i have decided i'm keepin the 8 heads not trying to build a complete race car just something to play with on the track.

NYOLDS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2012
Arkansas City KS
It doesn't really matter what heads are on the motor. A cam if well picked with a manifold will benefit your 350. Some heads are better than others though. I'm runnning a set of 7's on my stock 350 Olds with an Edelbrock performer cam and manifold that seems to run well on E85 and a tone of timing.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
NYOLDS said:
It doesn't really matter what heads are on the motor. A cam if well picked with a manifold will benefit your 350. Some heads are better than others though. I'm runnning a set of 7's on my stock 350 Olds with an Edelbrock performer cam and manifold that seems to run well on E85 and a tone of timing.

I was looking for a edlebrock cam but the duration are mad high i was looking for a low one and the Edlebrock Performer is going on my 350.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Perfomer cam will work on a stock 73-76 #8 head 350. The problem is the low factory compression, any amount of extra duration will hurt performance with low compression. The 307 vin 9 HO cam might work better due to the 8.2 to 1 compression.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Get a small cam like I have ( or similar ) which will retain what little cylinder pressure you're making with your anemic CR but will still be better than the crap factory cam. Call a reputable cam manufacturer and get a recomendation from a pro.

If you need Olds specific parts, you should join an OLDS forum where people there have parts like heads for sale all the time. You're not going to have much luck finding parts like this in your local junkyards anymore but these parts are still readily available if you search in the right places ( aka OLDS forums ) for them.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
DoubleV said:
Get a small cam like I have ( or similar ) which will retain what little cylinder pressure you're making with your anemic CR but will still be better than the crap factory cam. Call a reputable cam manufacturer and get a recomendation from a pro.

If you need Olds specific parts, you should join an OLDS forum where people there have parts like heads for sale all the time. You're not going to have much luck finding parts like this in your local junkyards anymore but these parts are still readily available if you search in the right places ( aka OLDS forums ) for them.

I was on one but the heads i was being offered were cracked and they still wanted a hell of money smh.. that's why i was just going to keep the 8 heads i'm getting them shaved a little and my block is bored .30 over now to spike up the compression a bit but im going to look at a lunati and mondello cam smaller than the one you have thanks for the info by the way..

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
TeezySupreme said:
DoubleV said:

I was on one but the heads i was being offered were cracked and they still wanted a hell of money smh.. that's why i was just going to keep the 8 heads i'm getting them shaved a little and my block is bored .30 over now to spike up the compression a bit but im going to look at a lunati and mondello cam smaller than the one you have thanks for the info by the way..

I always see sbo heads for sale for cheap on the Olds forums but even if you don't see them listed in the for sale section, if you post you need some in the parts wanted section you should easily be able to obtain a set but moving on...

You do not want a cam smaller than mine. I have the smallest cam in the entire Voodoo cam line as is ( and it's too small IMO ). It only has 250/256 advertised duration. The stock cams have about the same ( a tad more I believe ) but much less lift and .05 duration. There's alot more to cams than duration of course so you should really just ask an experienced cam guy for a recomendation but I can assure you you don't need/want anything smaller than what I have.

Just get an ACCURATE measurement on what your actual CR will be and don't guess!

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
1bad79 said:
teezy where are you located at i know where i can score some 68- 72 olds 350's im in michigan

Im in Ellenwood, Ga

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
DoubleV said:
TeezySupreme said:
DoubleV said:

I always see sbo heads for sale for cheap on the Olds forums but even if you don't see them listed in the for sale section, if you post you need some in the parts wanted section you should easily be able to obtain a set but moving on...

You do not want a cam smaller than mine. I have the smallest cam in the entire Voodoo cam line as is ( and it's too small IMO ). It only has 250/256 advertised duration. The stock cams have about the same ( a tad more I believe ) but much less lift and .05 duration. There's alot more to cams than duration of course so you should really just ask an experienced cam guy for a recomendation but I can assure you you don't need/want anything smaller than what I have.

Just get an ACCURATE measurement on what your actual CR will be and don't guess!

Alright thanks, ill call mondello in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor