Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles
www.instagram.com
Around 3 months ago I 350 swapped my Monte Carlo IMG_0880.jpeg
It’s a 70s 010 4 bolt 350
IMG_0895.jpeg
I found this one on offerup
IMG_0862.png

Guy was real cool i ended up picking it up for $400 said he didn’t know anything about it, he did a ls swap for a customer and the customer left the engine with him just knew that he was having problems with the starter and “didn’t like having to adjust the carb all the time”
It came with a lot of extra goodies too, front accessories, victor jr. intake, edelbrock 1406 carb, hedman headers, beautiful tall Chevrolet valve covers, and original GM oil cooler adapter
IMG_0898.jpeg IMG_0868.jpeg
So I brought it home and started to pull all the accessories, the pan, timing cover, and valve covers to redo the gaskets
IMG_0899.jpeg
So far things were looking really good the rockers and springs look fairly new
IMG_0893.jpeg
It came with that gear drive timing set, it’s cool and all but I prefer my double roller so I pulled it off my 305 and threw it on the 350, the double roller is fairly new just a couple months old at that point
IMG_0920.jpeg IMG_0919.jpeg
I also put in an ARP oil pump rod for good measure just forgot to take a picture of it
IMG_0904.jpeg
My phone froze and deleted a lot of what I wrote after this 😡 kinda pissed not gonna lie
We pulled the 305 and dropped in the 350 IMG_0913.jpeg IMG_0916.jpeg IMG_0917.jpeg
Yes me and my buddy wear slides working on our cars we like to be comfortable 😂 we know it’s not the safest
IMG_0922.jpeg
Swapped my performer intake on in place of the vic jr (I plan on a air gap intake)
IMG_0924.jpeg
Also dropped that horrible chrome thermostat housing for the one on the 350 IMG_0973.jpeg
Thank god my buddy had a ps pump on warranty at the zone so we threw that on but what I didn’t know there’s too different styles of pump one sits straight up at 12 o’clock and one sits slightly to the left or something like that but there’s too different brackets and the 350 bracket was too tight looked like they over tightened it so we had to modify the 305 bracket, nothing a grinder can’t fix 😈 IMG_0976.jpeg IMG_0977.jpeg
After letting the end seals dry and double checking everything we turned her over and she grinds like crazy starts up and runs but that starter is not happy, kept trying to get it to stop grinding but no luck after a few hours got it the best I could and rode it out for like a week till that flywheel and starter were done for. At the time I didn’t know about starter shimming I never had to do it with my stock starter and 305 when I took it off and another big problem I have a defective block, long story short in the 70s one of the gang drills for starter bolt holes was unaligned so the holes were drilled to far from the crank 1/4 to 1/3 of sbc are affected by this. GM came up with a bandaid solution and it was a new starter that had the gear further out from the case and closer to the flywheel but it was only available for fleet vehicles (police,taxi,etc)
I didn’t know about this till I did my research obviously so I got my self another starter and luckily the same buddy had a starter warranty and thank god it was the offset bolt holes one that’s the one I needed 😭 got another fly wheel and got to shimming IMG_1031.jpeg IMG_1032.jpeg
Also had to modify my old 305 starter bracket to fit on the 350 since it didn’t come with one, there’s two different types the long bracket and short thankfully I had the long and I needed the short. Would have been better if I needed the long bracket on the 350 but like I said earlier nothing a grinder can’t fix IMG_0996.jpeg IMG_0995.jpeg
I used so many folded in half shims on the outside starter bolt to bring the starter closer to the crank but it’s all good now, I perfectly fit the Allen key in between the shaft and the flywheel and everything worked out great. Probably missing a couple little things but that’s most of it.

7 days start to finish

Daily driver, no problems, I feel like I didn’t too bad for my first swap

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0918.jpeg
    IMG_0918.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0930.jpeg
    IMG_0930.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor