355 chevy on my stock transmission????

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i got this 355 jasper(chevy) my olds is an 87 with a 307 olds v8. will the 355 bolt up to my stock transmission, it doesnt have od , thanx for the help

I am doing a Buick 231 V6 to Chevy V8 swap. You will do most of what I am and still need to do. Here goes:

-transmission with Chevy bolt pattern
-Motor mounts for a Chevy (they are different)
-Accessory brakets for the front of the engine
-You may need to reroute cables, wires and fuel lines
-G-Body wire harness for a Chevy V8 or do a hair cut to your existing harness
-I'm not sure about the ECM. I'm not using mine, but if you keep yours, I think you need one for a Chevy V8. Not to mention the wiring harness for the ECM

Are you sure you have a TH-350? If its stock and its a 3spd you most likely have a TH-200. Either way the simple answer is "NO" you'll need a transmission w/ a Chevy bolt pattern/ All Buick/Pontiac/Olds use a separate transmission bolt pattern. If your dropping in a 355 then you should beef up the trans while your at it. Its not hard at all to find a core in a junkyard. Make sure you get the short tailshaft 350 so the case will be the same as a TH-200.

U need to look at your trans first. If it's got 8 bellhousing bolt HOLES, then it may bolt up because it will be the BOP and Chevy bolt pattern. Some trans came like that including the 200-4r and TH350C. TH200C I don't know. But the trans will be OK for awhile at least if it'll bolt together. The trans can always be rebuilt at a later date if needed. I'm still running my stock, no rebuild behind a mild 355 with no issues, but it is a 200-4r.

Chevy V-8 in an Olds 307

I did one into my 80 Cutlass:

1. Chevy engine mounts.
2. Mine had a BOP TH350, so I got a short tailshaft TH350 Chevy Case and swapped in all the parts and beefed it. Make sure you put in a better than stock sprag.
3. To avoid running a battery cable to the starter solenoid which is on the passenger side, I put in a ford style starter solenoid on the firewall and ran a starter cable to the solenoid, and jumpered the solenoid wire to the starter cable. This lets you use the original cable which went to the Olds starter and plug in all the wires to the Ford solenoid. None of the other wires had to be lengthened between the Chevy and Olds on the engine harness.
4. Removed the charcoal cannister completely.
5. I was dealing with non computer cars and non-lockup converters. There are also no smog tests in the other 15 counties in Nevada other than the ones where Reno and Vegas are. Once the car is registered, no one will ever look at it again, so my cat and charcoal cannister disappeared.
6. The axle ratio for the Olds 350 was a 2.23 which the 305 pulled ok. However I put in a healthy high CR 350 and a 200 4-R and am putting in a A-body 8.5 rear with a posi and a 3.42.
7. Rear disk brakes will come soon. Also a computer from a Camaro with EFI port injection with a FI manifold.

Regards,

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor