BUILD THREAD 36x48x14 Shop Build Update 2/20/2024, Tire Machine is Finished!

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
pull out mtv GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Being married and all, that isn't a worry, haha

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Working on ordering some replacement parts for my Branick Strut compressor, It needs a new thrust bearing and 2 handles since I lost 2 on the highway transporting it!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Another addition to the shop! Something I've always wanted, but never had the room for, a lathe. This is a 1946 Southbend 9A, with a quick change gear box and a power crossfeed. Cane with a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, steady rest and anther rest, some collets and tooling, and quick change tool block, and a few other randoms. The previous owner "restored" it and built the heavy steel bench with casters it is mounted on. It has been cleaned up, repainted, new felts and seals, belts, and he replaced some gears. The ways are a bit dinged up by the headstock, but for what I am going to use it for it will be fine. The wiring was atrocious, so I had to repair all that.

I am currently working on cleaning it up to get rid of all the chicks and grunge as he wasn't the best at keeping it clean. I also have been working on getting rid of some of the backlash on the cross feed and the apron.

The upside with these lathes is they have been around for like 70 years, parts are available and the manuals are everywhere.

Now to get a mini mill!

Found a hole for it to go, added a chip pan, and need to get a cover for it.

20240320_205818.jpg

20240320_205824.jpg

Still making a cover for the junction box on the motor, since it was missing/hacked up. This isn't the original motor.

20240320_205831.jpg

20240320_205839.jpg

I still need to purchase the correct oils, and a few other small items that will help get me started.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor