BUILD THREAD 36x48x14 Shop Build Update 2/20/2024, Tire Machine is Finished!

Small update: The wire cam for the electrical service, I have the CB box, ground rods and such. Fiber and fiber converters on their way. I will be digging the ditch this weekend to get everything back there.

Reactions: 1 users
Ditch has been dug! I ran the power back, hooked it up. Also buried some fiber to get internet back there. The ditch has been backfilled, though it isn't perfect as it got dark and I had to get the equipment back Monday morning.

Reactions: 4 users
Power and interballs are in the shop, I am writing this post from it now. I have 3 double gang 20a receptacle circuits, 2 every other box on the the back and side walls, and a 3rd on the front wall. The lights are currently on 2 circuits, but i may make it 3 for more light control. I also added a dedicated 20a circuit for future garage door openers.

I'll be adding a ceiling fan circuit, exterior lighting and receptacle, welders and compressor circuit soon.

Facing the back, just the rear lights on.

20230823_202349.jpg

Same angle, all six UFO lights in, it is BRIGHT!

20230823_202356.jpg

Facing the front, just the rear UFO lights and the high bay LED panel over the door

20230823_202415.jpg

Finally all lights on, facing front.

20230823_202443.jpg
I may break the lights up to rear/door, middle, front.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Update, I rented a large frame skid steer for the holiday weekend, and ran all over the land to gather fill so build up the sides of the shop. I also got 2 tri-axles each of shale and overburden (compactable fill). I used the shale and overburden for the front to build up and level out the "driveway" and topped it with whatever 57 stone I had laying around. That was 4 hours regrading.

The rear and sides got a massive amount of fill then topsoil I had scraped off for the build, and covered in grass seed and straw, though I need ALOT more straw. That was almost 10 hours in the machine scooping it up and running it to the building.

I used the machine to compact the fill, so I expect it to settle, which is why the fill is right to the rodent guard.

This is looking towards tent city, there is 4 tri-axles of material here.

20230906_193358.jpg

Looking down the back, I need more straw.

20230906_193443.jpg

This is looking down the left side.

20230906_193354.jpg

Looking down the right side. In the future there will be a slab here to put my outdoor lift on, and parking, so there is compactable fill and there will be stone here.

20230906_193416.jpg

From the rear looking down the left (facing front) side. This was feet low.

20230906_193509.jpg

20230906_193516.jpg

Facing the rear.

20230906_193512.jpg

I'll be away this weekend, and were are slated to get a few days or much needed rain. Next week I'll seed and straw more to get the grass growing before the winter if I can.

• Winner
Reactions: 13 users
How far back/away/out do you plan to push your perimeter greenery? Even a small tree can do damage to a building if driven by a strong enough wind. Maybe a chat with the local DNR for some suggestions on how much open space to create to provide a fire break, y'know, just in case.....................

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
How far back/away/out do you plan to push your perimeter greenery? Even a small tree can do damage to a building if driven by a strong enough wind. Maybe a chat with the local DNR for some suggestions on how much open space to create to provide a fire break, y'know, just in case.....................

Nick
Nick, not sure how I completely missed your question, d'oh! The DCR stuff is pretty much there to stay, they aren't very keen on loosing trees since this forest is in its second growth. I have a few maples really close on the right as you can see, they'll come out in the future for expansion, though the current natural lean they have is away from the building so I'll let em ride for the time being.

A few more pines on my land will go, just for truck/car trailer maneuvering and keep them from hitting the building, pines just fall over. To be honest I have so many trees to finish cutting and splitting I didn't want to do more yet. After the colder months I should have all the brush burnt and logs split.

Reactions: 1 user
Update time, I'll have pics soon.

Most of my tools are in the shop, organized sort of. I picked up two 26" US General Series 2 boxes that I modified and fastened to the 2-44" and 14" I already have. I have both 2 post lifts installed and working too. The foam board insulation is done, and all the rags from the expanding foam is cut back. I have to finish caulking some cracks to finish the air sealing, but as it sits is really tight. The front of the garage doors has 4 tri-axles of shale and stone, so it is flat-ish and perfectly fine for the extended future. I also picked up a used 55" dumb TV for in there, I have a chromecast/firestick for streaming stuff.

I still have some items, like ceiling fans, exterior lights and receptacles, and an exhaust fan for smoke/fumes, but these need more cash I don't have yet.

I'll try and snap some good pictures next week, as I am still cleaning up the mess from moving crap from my house garage, tent city, my shed and storage trailers.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Wow! That's some size building there, Jim.
Are you planning to store any RV's in there? Maybe a vintage fighter plane project? You know I'm pulling your chain....:)
It looks great, man. Absolutely love it. (y)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor