BUILD THREAD 36x48x14 Shop Build Update 2/20/2024, Tire Machine is Finished!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
We had spray foam added under and over our old farmhouse we owned outside Atlanta. The one caveat is make sure the area being sprayed is sealed up tight. If the liquid phase being sprayed gets into somewhere you don't want it, it will expand in that space.

If you are going to have a pipe in an area, best practice is to not have the pipes roughed in at spraying, and then use a plastic type pipe in the place you want your permanent pipe. After the foam does its initial set you rotate the pipe left and right to loosen it from the foam to leave a cylindrical tunnel to run your permanent ones through. Works as well if you want to have a channel to run future wiring through, and, don't want to deal with chopping up foam to work on it.

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Forgot to add, even if you don't install pex in the concrete, I'm not sure what code is in your area, but here they make you use 2" xps foam UNDER the slab. It makes a HUGE difference too. Otherwise the slab will always be ground temperature. Not ideal when your trying to heat a place during the winter.

Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Forgot to add, even if you don't install pex in the concrete, I'm not sure what code is in your area, but here they make you use 2" xps foam UNDER the slab. It makes a HUGE difference too. Otherwise the slab will always be ground temperature. Not ideal when your trying to heat a place during the winter.

I saw a build on YouTube where a guy had a layer of sand under the concrete to add mass to what was being heated. No insulation though, seems to me if he'd done insulation under that it would have been even better.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

I am working out the numbers to add the pex, I saw about the foam insulation, I am in central PA literally on top of a mountain, so winters do get cold.

I saw a build on YouTube where a guy had a layer of sand under the concrete to add mass to what was being heated. No insulation though, seems to me if he'd done insulation under that it would have been even better.

I saw something similar.

I'll take some pics tomorrow when/if the crew gets here!

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
It has begun! A crew of four guys came this morning, unloaded their equipment and tools and got to work. The holes were dug, inspected, and post pills set. The laminated beams are in and the girts started to go up then the sky opened up. They will be back tomorrow to resume, so for now, some pics.

20230327_104727.jpg

20230327_121926.jpg

20230327_122121.jpg

20230327_133023.jpg

• Happy
Reactions: 5 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Progress from yesterday! The crew is here today, finishing up perlins on the trusses, finishing framing the garage doors and windows.

20230328_161819.jpg

20230328_161829.jpg

20230328_161846.jpg

20230328_164114.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You're really gonna like that size. Mine is 36x48 as well, but only 12' height.
step-brothers-room-for-activities.gif

• Happy
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
You're really gonna like that size. Mine is 36x48 as well, but only 12' height.
I cannot wait, this part is fast, the rest will take time! I will eventually add on, but those add-ons will be for finished car parking.

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
How tall is the door gonna be? I only want to make mine as high as I need to, but my camper is just over 12' tall at the A/C.
They are 10x10. I was gonna do 10x12 (high), but I'll never pull anything that big in there. That's my excuse for not working on big sh*t. My buddy has a 30x60 with the same size doors, and works on similar projects so I went that route. The bigger the door, the bigger the air leak you have to plug.

Edit: Same buddy took his AC off and deflated the tires on his camper to get it in the shop for some hardcore wall repair.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor