374 Olds 350 stroker build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You are right, funny how I missed that. With the block decked .020", which they are decking it that much, a 1.55" piston will be .010" in the hole, so 1.56" piston is also useable. This is an offset ground 330 crank to 3.5" with 6" Scat rod. The Olds 350 bore stock is 4.057". The new Edelbrock heads are 68cc. I want under 10 to 1, we only have 91 non Ethanol Premium here. I am planning on MLS head gaskets, so any thickness is possible. I will talk to Mark and see what his recommendation is, he has built these before. I can still change this up and get the machine shop to do a different final bore. Noise is one thing, no oil control is another.

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What's the deck height?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Should be 9.33", no machining on this block till now.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

These are 4032, will require a minor deck cut depending on the head gasket thickness. And I haven't a clue about valve relief locations. The worst that woulkd happen is that you had to have them cut minorly for valve relief. This should have your compression in the 9-10:1 range. I didn't run it through a calculator, but 74cc for a 374ci should be in the ballpark.

I come up with a 1.58 compression height will be at zero deck - check my math.

Maybe someone knows, will the valve reliefs on a SBC piston work out on a SBO?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Thanks. I looked at a ton of different options. I think my piston choice is going to be a Mahle 4032 custom forged, probably in a 4.065" with a 1mm ring pack. That way, we can choose the exact dish I need for my goals and 91 octane. If I wanted, or could really afford an extra $1500+ and needed maximum bore and cubic inches, I would get Mark's 4" stroker crank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Talked to Parkland Engine Builder's, still wicked busy. Hopefully they will have the block ready by the end of next week. Then I can order the custom pistons, pins, rings along with rod and main bearings from Cutlassefi.

Reactions: 1 user

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba

These are 4032, will require a minor deck cut depending on the head gasket thickness. And I haven't a clue about valve relief locations. The worst that woulkd happen is that you had to have them cut minorly for valve relief. This should have your compression in the 9-10:1 range. I didn't run it through a calculator, but 74cc for a 374ci should be in the ballpark.

I come up with a 1.58 compression height will be at zero deck - check my math.

Maybe someone knows, will the valve reliefs on a SBC piston work out on a SBO?
What is the reason for the valve reliefs?
For bigger cam, valves don't kiss pistons?

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
Talked to Parkland Engine Builder's, still wicked busy. Hopefully they will have the block ready by the end of next week. Then I can order the custom pistons, pins, rings along with rod and main bearings from Cutlassefi.
Right on!!!! The anticipation is a killer isn't it!?!?!?!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It sure is, they are still stupid busy. I know how they feel. I hooked and unhooked the pup 3 times this week. Oil and fuel prices are climbing. Good thing we filled a bunch of Farmers in the Fall. Our 6 trucks, 2 pup units, one which I drive, we hauled over 22 Million liters last year. I talked to Mark about ring sizes with custom pistons, if it won't hone to 4.065", then I will take it to 4.070" for available rings.

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
It sure is, they are still stupid busy. I know how they feel. I hooked and unhooked the pup 3 times this week. Oil and fuel prices are climbing. Good thing we filled a bunch of Farmers in the Fall. Our 6 trucks, 2 pup units, one which I drive, we hauled over 22 Million liters last year. I talked to Mark about ring sizes with custom pistons, if it won't hone to 4.065", then I will take it to 4.070" for available rings.
Yes barrel of oil is slowly rising,sitting around the 63 dollar point. As that price moves up, so will fuel.

Good luck, Mark the man!!!
You using them new edelbrock heads?

When Brazier Race and Machine built mine, took a bit over 6 months. They have alot of racing clientele that makes priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor