383 stroker build ??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

natters84regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2011
Kansas city,Kansas The Dotte
okay look i got a 84 regal limited im putting in a 383 for now i got 73 vette 350 010 block. got the bottom end mainly taking care of with a 383 stroke kit and machining the engine all the way throw. but little lossest of wat to do to the topend im wanting about 600hp. ill put a gear in the rearend thanking 3.73 or 4.10.. but them again wat about a transmission people say 350 but is there better.. if anyone could shot a couple good ideas ..... thanks much ......

Reactions: Pook1000
Is this strictly a race car? With 4.10s and 3 speed she'll be screaming for another gear on the highway.

If you're wanting to make 600hp and want it to be naturally aspirated, it'll take alot. A cylinder head that can flow upper 200's cfm, a good single plane intake, large tube headers, a pretty wild camshaft, and alot of compression; which means it won't be able to run on pump gas. Or you can build a streetable 383 and hit it with a shot of spray, or of course you could build a forced induction motor. Not trying to be negative, I just know what it takes to make 600hp on the streets, my 406 in my SS made 602hp and it took alot of money and work to tweak it to get there. If you want I can tell you my recipe and you can see about what it takes. Spray or a small blower would be the easiest, which is why I'm going with a Procharger in the future instead of a big block to make even more power.

crotchss said:
If you're wanting to make 600hp and want it to be naturally aspirated, it'll take alot. A cylinder head that can flow upper 200's cfm, a good single plane intake, large tube headers, a pretty wild camshaft, and alot of compression; which means it won't be able to run on pump gas. Or you can build a streetable 383 and hit it with a shot of spray, or of course you could build a forced induction motor. Not trying to be negative, I just know what it takes to make 600hp on the streets, my 406 in my SS made 602hp and it took alot of money and work to tweak it to get there. If you want I can tell you my recipe and you can see about what it takes. Spray or a small blower would be the easiest, which is why I'm going with a Procharger in the future instead of a big block to make even more power.
I couldnt agree more 600hp is a hard goal to reach on a carb motor. And he is correct it takes alot of money. I havent figured the $$$$ amount in my 406 but off the top of my head somewhere in the $5000 mark. My 406 is the one in signature still putting it back together after a minor problem.

Just remember with a 383 you need a small base circle cam or the connecting rods will have to be clearanced for cam. If not clearenced or small base circle the rod will hit cam lobe. You can easily acheave 500-525 horse.

I also agree that it would be much easier and cost effective to throw a blower on it. I am putting a 192 blower (lower clearance to fit with cowl induction style hood) from the blower shop. For about 4k, blower 3200 +800 for other upgrades, you can easily get 500 - 550 hp on 93 pump gas. I have 4:10's on it now, but definately need to go down to 3:42 or 3:73's 4:10's are way too much. 5k rpm going down the expressway to get to cruise nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor