CHEVY 383 stroker build

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I built my engine because I had never done it before and wanted to learn. I like learning how to do stuff. I can't quite afford the lathes and milling machines they have at a machine shop, but I was able to swing everything else... The cylinder heads and fuel injection setup were purchased used and helped some with the final price.

Reactions: 3 users

Marketmerlin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2018
I built my engine because I had never done it before and wanted to learn. I like learning how to do stuff. I can't quite afford the lathes and milling machines they have at a machine shop, but I was able to swing everything else... The cylinder heads and fuel injection setup were purchased used and helped some with the final price.
I'm about the same way but I have built about 5 in the last 25ish years. I'm by no means an expert builder but want to put a little bit of my knowledge to work. My current build is a 385 I'm looking to get around 450 on 87 octane. I haven't seen a crate like that. I also have a 305 in a part's car I'd like to de-stroke to a 267 as a fuel saver project. I think it would be hilarious to slap some 267ss badges on the fenders of the old el camino.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Going to be going down this route myself, my buddy helping me with everything really enjoys the building process so I know thats why he is focused on the building part of it. But so far I don't think I will be close to the 7k mark but we all know how it snowballs. Looking at doing a Scat rotating assembly after first thinking I was going to go PBM, AFR heads, and Comp Cam XR282HR.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I'm about the same way but I have built about 5 in the last 25ish years. I'm by no means an expert builder but want to put a little bit of my knowledge to work. My current build is a 385 I'm looking to get around 450 on 87 octane. I haven't seen a crate like that. I also have a 305 in a part's car I'd like to de-stroke to a 267 as a fuel saver project. I think it would be hilarious to slap some 267ss badges on the fenders of the old el camino.
Curious of the details/internals/parts that yield ~450hp on the cheap stuff w/o issues.

Marketmerlin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2018
Curious of the details/internals/parts that yield ~450hp on the cheap stuff w/o issues.
I honestly don't know what the hp and tq will be. It started as an abandoned un-assembled short block from a local shop. I believe it has eagle 5.7 rods and crank but pistons didn't work for what I wanted so I got a set of thin ring SRP-139629-8 16cc dished pistons.

Heads are the budget afr 195 enforcer's that I blended and polished the chambers and just knocked the rough casting out of the runners with 80 grit. The shop is doing a 5 angle on them. Block is just a 2 bolt 2 piece .040 over 350 getting zero decked. Once the heads are back I'll cc the chambers and know what my compression is going to be exactly. I know it's somewhere between 9.2 and 9.6 compression.

Cam is the lunati voodoo roller 20120711 219/227 @50, .549/.565 lift with the 1.6 rockers. Elderbrock performer spread bore intake and rocking a quadrajet. I sat the heads and everything on it a couple weeks ago to see how it's going to look. Lol I'm getting anxious to say the least

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230701_083733_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230701_083733_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I honestly don't know what the hp and tq will be. It started as an abandoned un-assembled short block from a local shop. I believe it has eagle 5.7 rods and crank but pistons didn't work for what I wanted so I got a set of thin ring SRP-139629-8 16cc dished pistons.

Heads are the budget afr 195 enforcer's that I blended and polished the chambers and just knocked the rough casting out of the runners with 80 grit. The shop is doing a 5 angle on them. Block is just a 2 bolt 2 piece .040 over 350 getting zero decked. Once the heads are back I'll cc the chambers and know what my compression is going to be exactly. I know it's somewhere between 9.2 and 9.6 compression.

Cam is the lunati voodoo roller 20120711 219/227 @50, .549/.565 lift with the 1.6 rockers. Elderbrock performer spread bore intake and rocking a quadrajet. I sat the heads and everything on it a couple weeks ago to see how it's going to look. Lol I'm getting anxious to say the least
Does sound like a stout little combo. I'm betting it will be on the higher end of that comp range 'guesstimation'.
Zero deck,16cc dish, & a 3.75 stroke w/the likely small 64cc-ish chamber.... it should have some pep since the cam is mild.

Marketmerlin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2018
Does sound like a stout little combo. I'm betting it will be on the higher end of that comp range 'guesstimation'.
Zero deck,16cc dish, & a 3.75 stroke w/the likely small 64cc-ish chamber.... it should have some pep since the cam is mild.
I'm not so sure. They advertise them at 64 and 65cc depending on the site you look at but real world test have shown 66.5cc out of the box. That's not counting I grinded 1 or 2cc out of the chambers blending the seat to chamber area. Out of the box there is a sharp ridge all the way around the seat about .020 tall or better at the bottom red line. That's not even counting the mound just outside of that. You can kinda see the shadow of the mound between the red lines. 2nd pic isn't done but a little closer to finished.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230719_112329_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230719_112329_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20230719_113513_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230719_113513_Gallery.jpg
    940.3 KB · Views: 59

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I'm not so sure. They advertise them at 64 and 65cc depending on the site you look at but real world test have shown 66.5cc out of the box. That's not counting I grinded 1 or 2cc out of the chambers blending the seat to chamber area. Out of the box there is a sharp ridge all the way around the seat about .020 tall or better at the bottom red line. That's not even counting the mound just outside of that. You can kinda see the shadow of the mound between the red lines. 2nd pic isn't done but a little closer to finished.
Gotcha. Def will depend on any material removed if they're not resurfaced after the effort. Post up what your final measurement yields.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor