CHEVY 383 stroker build

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I have no where to build an engine or the tools or engine building knowledge. That's why I went with a Blueprint engine. Everything is matched. All I needed to do was transfer my accessory drive and add a flexplate. I did however replace the TH350 with a TH400 do to the torque of the 383.

Reactions: 5 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I have no where to build an engine or the tools or engine building knowledge. That's why I went with a Blueprint engine. Everything is matched. All I needed to do was transfer my accessory drive and add a flexplate. I did however replace the TH350 with a TH400 do to the torque of the 383.
recognizing your limitations is half the battle, setting a plan is the other half

Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i can go both ways with this one,i love supporting local/small bussiness as they're important(I'm blue collar) but I've had 4 engines built over the years,done as much of the labor myself,from hole in the wall shops to this last one a big local outfit.each one more expensive than the last and this last one i spent more than i care to admit given i'm still chasing my tail with it.(the after sale $upport isn't there):cautious: i think i'd roll the dice on a crate next time.

Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
recognizing your limitations is half the battle, setting a plan is the other half
Recognized and set! Not afraid to admitted it. I'm at the age that I just don't care. I'm happy and that's the most important part.

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Recognized and set! Not afraid to admitted it. I'm at the age that I just don't care. I'm happy and that's the most important part.
believe me I know what you mean! whether those limitations are lack of knowledge, skills, space, tools, time, or money, the issue is simply recognizing them. like I'm probably never going to get around to restoring some stuff I have, I can either sell it at a loss and move on, or wait until I acquire the knowledge, skills, space, tools, time, or money. ..... we all know how THAT usually turns out.....

Reactions: 1 user

MonteCarloAustin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2020
As long as you know and aren’t kissed when it goes south.

I’ve never built a 383, but I’ve built a 417/421 setup, which is similar but more bore and stroke. Hydraulic roller unless you can handle a solid roller (they can be difficult.) NO angle plug heads - period.

I’m not trying to push you in a direction. You need to answer some questions : 1st - what block do you have? Is it a roller block or roller ready block? 2nd - do you have the skills to tune, EFI or carb? You need to be able to tune either and the tuning concepts are the same regardless of carb or EFI. 3rd - do have a trusted machine shop? 4th - do you understand that the heads, cam, headers and compression is where the power is made? The short block only has to be able to live at your desired power level.

I’m not pushing you into anything, but if you have zero experience with putting a motor together, then be clear that you will have some ‘learning experiences’ that cost you money.

Please answer the questions.
At this moment I am just trying to gather as much info as possible without spending any money or too much time… weighing out every option if you will. I have a decent amount of knowledge with this stuff but have never built a performance engine from the ground up. My old man has been a Chevy tech for over 30 years so he will be at my side for any questions I have if I do decide to build a motor. He has a nice shop and every specialty tool I could need. I do not have a certain machine shop in mind but was planning on shopping around when I get to that point.

MonteCarloAustin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2020
Quick math here:
Skip white rotating : $1549
Upgrade to forged crank: $549
Machine cost : $1200
Heads (AFR) : $2100
Cam kit: $1100
Rockers: $400
Gaskets: $200
Total: $7098 with no warranty if you put it together and without proven horsepower numbers. Also does not factor in your time for research and assembly, that you have to value for yourself

I love spending other people's money but with the options these days for proven crate motors it is almost a no brainer which way to go. Now if you were trying to build a high powered car or something with forced induction I would steer you a different direction. Spend that extra time you gain with a crate motor by cleaning and painting your engine bay while you have the old motor out!
I think y’all are starting to turn me. I was dead set on building something myself, but after pricing some of it out… is it really worth it? I know I’m going backwards now but I never realized the great value of some of these crate engines. The $6,000 price tags scared me away at first, but I’d be spending every penny of that anyway. I’m happy to get every opinion, especially from those who have been in the same situation. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but I have a few options I need to really look at before throwing a few paychecks at this old car.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Like others has said... going with a crate engine with all matching parts is cheaper than the guess work going in with all the different parts you've bought seperately possinbly costing you more in the end.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I think y’all are starting to turn me. I was dead set on building something myself, but after pricing some of it out… is it really worth it? I know I’m going backwards now but I never realized the great value of some of these crate engines. The $6,000 price tags scared me away at first, but I’d be spending every penny of that anyway. I’m happy to get every opinion, especially from those who have been in the same situation. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but I have a few options I need to really look at before throwing a few paychecks at this old car.
There is one piece that you're not mentioning - warranty. You're purchasing a warranty when you purchase a crate from a quality vendor.

Think of it this way - you put in your motor, $6-7K crate or your build, and after 5 hours of runtime it spins a bearing for whatever reason (other than negligence). What is your recourse with a BluePrint crate and how does that differ from your home built setup?

I believe that most, repeat most, guys don't think about this - especially in your HP/performance range. And I'm not downplaying your HP range. 400+ crank HP is a crap ton of power that alot of people, and most of the general public, don't understand. Of course if you are looking for something wild like 600+ NA, then you're forced into either paying $10-20K from a performance shop build or building that on your own. But IMHO 300-350 wheel HP in a 40+ year old chassis is ample power to do burnouts and ice cream on a weekly basis and still cruise great.

I say this being a person that has never bought a crate motor. And yes, I've made mistakes that have cost me plenty of money building my own stuff. But currently I'm looking for more than 400-450hp, so I've been forced to build myself.

Regarding my comment about most of the general public not understanding how much 400+ is, look around for a wrecked modern era Mustang, Camaro, Hellcat, etc. for powerplant swaps, and guess why there are so many of them wrecked. Go on YT and search for 'Mustang fails' and watch the list of donor power plants grow.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor