383 stroker or LS Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
First I'll start that everyone made great points and offered good advise. My vote is 383 sbc stroker. I enjoyed my 383 build. I have no experience with an LS swap. You can always efi a 383 to get some benefits of efficiency. It wont be an LS, but helps. Anyways, that's my vote and 2 cents. Good luck with your decision and build.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Chris - this one is your call !! It depends on what you want and what you want it to do. Why would you even want to go to 383 ?

Reactions: 1 user

RegalChris1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2019
Long Island New York
Chris - this one is your call !! It depends on what you want and what you want it to do. Why would you even want to go to 383 ?

More of a old school type of build really. I want to keep it old school everyone throws a LS in a gbody anymore. The fact is I have my hands on a free 5.3 right now just have to pull it out of my plow truck that I’m not doing anything with right now and throw a turbo on it. Just have to make a harness and all that sh*t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Chris, I was just where you are now, had a full LS, trans, accessories, electronics, everything and I had a real nice sbc that I knew would be much easier for me to build because I’m not very familiar with the LS stuff. Then I started adding up all the cost involved with building a 383, nice heads, block work, crank, rods, etc etc and came right back to the LS that I’m building now. I’ve done so many small blocks that I knew I wouldn’t be happy with another when I can have a clean running engine that’s super dependable and makes real good power. It’s all in what you want of course, but my two cents goes to the LS.

Reactions: 1 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
This has been on my mind, and I toss it around here and there... My two cents:

My 305 4bbl has no issues whatsoever. Starts with the tap of the key, runs like a champ. No reason not to run it. I am just letting it breathe.. Edelbrock intake, headers, and dual flowmasters. Sounds great, runs great, I'm good with that.

It is what it is.

Is it the fastest thing on the planet? Hell no.
Do I race it? Hell no.
Does the New 5.0 Mustang GT next to me at a stop light revving his engine get any attention from me? Probably a smirk, and a "Really?" kinda look...

I'm not in this for speed, nor power, but that's just me....

If you think about it, the G-Body isn't the Greatest Platform for Mega-Horsepower. That might sting a bit, but flat-out, it isn't. Now, could you dump thousands into the suspension? Of course you could, but at the end of the day, you still have a G-Body, that was Never Meant to be a "Sports Car".

Unlimited funds, you could make it bad *ss, there is no doubt about that... Go Shuffle down the 1/4 mile track, turn out a 9, smile, and have a nice day.

Me? I am going to run the 305 until it goes t*ts up... which, in all honesty, the 305 will probably out-last ME. But, if it does go t*ts up, I am leaning towards a 383. Why? Because everything I have on that car is already SBC and will bolt right up.

The Ultimate, unlimited wallet thing??

Poncho 6.6L 400, 30 over, full roller, mid-range cam... build the 200R4, and build the rear diff to handle it.

In all reality, it will probably be a Stout 383 because of everything I already have bolting up to it.. Money doesn't grow on trees.

But that doesn't mean if I find a 6.6L 400 with 6X heads at a great price, I wouldn't jump on it to "start down that road".

At the end of the day, it all comes down to what You want to do with Your G-Body.... and your wallet, and your goals.

More power to ya, keep us informed, let us know how it goes, and enjoy your car... I do, you should as well.. Take the haters with a grain of salt.

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 users

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
if it was for a daily driver setup i would go with the sbc 383 and find a cheap msd,holley or whatever brand efi setup and then be happy.
if i was not a daily more drag or street/strip i would sell the ls 5.3 and use that money towards a big block chevy and install a better rear end then be happy till you want more power and then add nitrous or ebay style turbo kit or used supercharger.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
I HAD an LQ4 in the cutty, and nearly finished before reverting back to the 307. I had my reasons at the time. If you have all the parts on a fully functional truck, a few aftermarket, and a couple OEM automotive bits should have you pretty close to there. 383 should just drop into the vacated hole assuming you are starting with a SBC car. Fair amount of tinkering with the LS. If I had it to do again I would have left the LS in the car, and sourced another for the Bue, but the 68 vintage 350 I had on a pallet was in much worse shape than I imagined before undoing everything I had done. Live and learn I guess. Point being, you need to do what's right for you, considering all factors, and contingencies involved before committing to any course of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor