3D Printed Wagon Hatch Clips

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Blaire, I commend you on your perseverance to get it done. (y) Kudos to you my friend. Although I no longer use the deflector on my car, these little parts still seem to be in demand among the wagon guys. .

Reactions: 1 users

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
I finally have a product I am happy with and confident that wont break. I have tested the same clips on my car for the past 10 months and I can say no cracking or warping. They are still pliable enough to be removed and put back in multiple times without breaking as well. I have done the testing without the clips having any paint on them (when they are painted they will be even more durable and have better UV resistance). My car also stays outside 24/7 365, and they have been through outside temps around 10° up to 102°
Ill will set up an Ebay listing in the next couple weeks when I get time in between school and the holidays. I'm thinking $15-$20 for a set of 2 will be a fair price.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

In the picture on the right above are the clips. The first one is the factory original clip, and the one in the middle is the final product.
I'm still looking into making some other things for wagons for the future. Currently I have a rough prototype for wagon B Pillars, but most likely this will never see the light of day since I have to measure every angle and bend by hand, but Ill post a render of the current 3D model. I would like to look into making some of the rear wagon headliner clips, but I don't have any on hand. Also making the rear wagon speaker grilles with custom designs. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I also have made these rear bumper fillers for a wagon, although they dont come out and touch the bumper because it'll be for when I tuck the rear bumper, and after some sanding and paint they will look great. Also I didnt feel like spending $200 for the new ones on DixieDepot
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
Project Name (1).jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice work on the rear bumper fillers and rear deflector caps. The B-pillars might be a bit more complicated. Kudos to you.
Custom rear speaker grilles sound interesting.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
B pillars are best sourced from sedans, lot more sedans out there since they made them through 86 in Olds and Pontiac versions

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Awesome, glad to see this finally get to the finish line.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Blaire,
I'll try to round up some old clips to be 3D printed. The ones over the 1/4 windows are more difficult to find. I know it would be going to a good cause.
Unfortunately, I may have tossed the old ones.

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
Blaire,
I'll try to round up some old clips to be 3D printed. The ones over the 1/4 windows are more difficult to find. I know it would be going to a good cause.
Unfortunately, I may have tossed the old ones.
Even if they are broken I could still use them, as long as all of the pieces are there. I can still piece them together

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm still on the lookout. I think my friend no longer has the old clips, but I haven't given up finding them.
I wonder how difficult it would be to 3D print the rear cubby doors. :unsure:
I want to thank you again for the measurements and pics of the cubby latches . I have successfully made a set using some 3/16" rod that I had laying around. Thanks again to you and Paul for your help in providing pics and dimensions. (y) Now to procure a set of those elusive cubby doors which my good friend had promised to me. :confused:

Last edited:

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
I'm still on the lookout. I think my friend no longer has the old clips, but I haven't given up finding them.
I wonder how difficult it would be to 3D print the rear cubby doors. :unsure:
I want to thank you again for the measurements and pics of the cubby latches . I have successfully made a set using some 3/16" rod that I had laying around. Thanks again to you and Paul for your help in providing pics and dimensions. (y) Now to procure a set of those elusive cubby doors which my good friend had promised to me. :confused:
Cubby doors would definitely be possible, although the problems there would come the hinge and latch. maybe some kind of metal piano hinge you screw on would work (the plastic hinge on one of my doors broke, stupid design to make them plastic). The latch and lock would be the hardest thing to make, and wouldnt be a factory solution. Something like this would work where it just rotates around behind the original latch rod. Now that I think about it I also really like the idea of removing the key and just having a push button like in this second picture, that way you wouldn't have to worry about yet another key that doesn't match the rest of the car. May look into making some doors, let me know your ideas
images
61A-ZV0TZTL.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor