4.3 fuel pump wirirng

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontrule

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2008
can anyone explain how to use the 4.3 electric pump with a carb? How do you use the origonal wiring? I already have a pressure regulator connected......4.3 to sbc swap

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
First a couple of questions. Are you putting the carb on a vehicle that currently has the 4.3 or are you putting one in a car that had the 305/350 in it.

Are you using any type of computer?

The fuel regulator what is its adjustable range?

Are you using the 4.3 fuel pump?

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I use an in-tank electric pump with a carberator. (GN tank & hanger) I bought the Malory 4309 return style fuel pressure regulator and some metal return line as seen at Summit or Jegs sites. I also bought an inexpensive in line fuel filter from the local autoparts for an early 90 350TPI motor. It does not matter what the fuel pump pressure is as it just pumps through the regulator back to the tank. The regulator takes enough off from a seperate port to your carb and you adjust what you want that pressure to be with a small allen wrench on the regulator. I set mine at 5 1/4 lbs for a q-jet. I mounted the regulator in the engine compartment. It has incomeing and return lines plus a seperate line going to the carb. Between the regulator and the carb I ran a short line with a fuel pressure guage that I could stick under my windshield wiper if I want to watch it to make sure the pump was keeping up through a full 1/4 mile pass or a long wot test. ;) You can see some wireing and pics on www.robertpowersmotorsports.com site uder tech info. Also you can see a drop in replacement high performance pump & wireing for the GNs which should be the same or very similar at www.racetronix.com click the Buick GN link under the fuel pumps section.

This setup is the shiznipple and is a benefit of the gbodys as none of the old school cars came with baffled tanks or hangers that would not require welding in modifications to accomodate the pump etc. For anyone else you can get a brand new steel aftermarket (Tamraz) GN replacement tank on Ebay for $188. Compared to the gravity fed electric out of tank fuel pump with sump or cell this is cheaper, easier, quieter, safer, and more reliable. If memory serves me one racetronix GN pump can handle up to 600HP.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I just finished doing the same exact swap in my 87 monte. I'm assumeing your not useing your factory computer anymore? As vern said you'll need a return style pressure regulator (I also used the Mallroy 4309). And I used the racetronix wireing upgrade harness http://www.racetronix.com/RX-G7-FPWHG.html
You'll also need to supply your pump with a trigger or remote. I'm pretty sure (I can double check if you'd like) it was a tan/white wire that was origanally on my 4.3's oil pressure switch (on the rear center of the block) that needs a switched power supply. Also you'll definatly need a fuel pressure gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor