4.3 tbi to 305 carb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2011
Hello, I've been lurking here for a few days trying to find info involving the fuel system with this swap. I'm wondering if there's any way to use the stock sending unit and remove the electric pump? Possibly block off the return line and remove the frame mounted filter?

Someone here on this site would probably like to get their hands on your existing pump/tank unit (if its in good shape), in order to perform an EFI conversion. Just a thought.

On my car I did what you said its just that simple. I got fuel hose from the parts store be sure fuel hose because if its not it will melt. Then all you need to do is cut a piece of hose as long as the fuel pump. Put the hose in place of the pump. Then block off the return. Thats it call it a day. Oh and leave the frame filter cant hurt to have the extra pertection I left mine and have no problems at all.

Thanks for the heads up! I will be dropping the tank hopefully around Monday, I'll inspect it and see if it's in acceptable condition.

i'd lookup what fuel pressure the 4.3 operated at. if it's 5-7psi, you may want to keep the pump as that's perfect for a q-jet carb. it'd also be a good security system as no one would suspect a fuel pump kill switch on a carb.

If im thinking correctly the 4.3 PSI is like around 40 or so. The reason you need a fuel pressure regulator when you do a carb engine swap. And reason most folks just do the hose instead of spending more money. But it would be better to get a FPR because with more power you make it would be easier to get more fuel pressure.

I'm aware of an aftermarket regulator, just trying to see if there's a cheaper alternative for now. 305 is hopefully going to be a temporary engine until money allows for a 350 build.

isn't the 4.3 a TBI system? later EFI did run higher pressures, but early ones....especially TBI are much lower.

The TBI runs with around 14psi, so a regulator is still need. I'd just unhook the power to the pump and use a mechanical pump on the 305. It will pull through the electric pump without a problem.

clean8485 said:
Someone here on this site would probably like to get their hands on your existing pump/tank unit (if its in good shape), in order to perform an EFI conversion. Just a thought.
Id be GREATLY interested in this please pm me if you want to part with any off this fuel injection parts you have.rather it be selling or bartering as i have mad stuff for a 305.please lmk..thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor