4.3 with a 4 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

craveman85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2010
im looking to get a monte carlo with a 4.3l motor in it and want to put a saginaw or a muncie in it. anyone know of any snags that would prevent me from doing this?

Only snag I can see is getting a 4.3 manual flywheel. I know SBC flywheels can be gotten at the corner drugstore but what balance issues does the V-6 have? I'm sure the Chevy guys will know what works and what doesn't. After that, it's a cakewalk.

project is going to be a cruiser class dirt track car and im going to run in the 6 cyl cars. its a lot cheaper than going to street stock where they have 3-4 thousand just in the motors.

the cars have to be a 4 or a 6 cyl car with a cage, a fuel cell, stock looking bumpers, and the motor has to "appear stock" biggest 6 cyl i could think of would be the 4.3 that was used in a car. everyone else is running dodge neons, ford probes, civics and all the other lil fart cars. there is 1 6 cylinder mustang with a 3.8 but its a bit wore out. with a monte carlo i can have a good 4 link in the rear, rear wheel drive, the ease of working and finding parts for a chevy drivetrain, cheapest horsepower available, and im 6'4 so i dont think i want to be buzzing around the track in a lil rice burner. most of these guys have 5 hundred to a thousand bucks invested in there cars and 4.3's are a dime a dozen at the u pull it that i go to. well actually 100 bucks after returning the core and they come with a 30 day warranty.

or would it be easier to do a t5 swap instead. im not worried about anything looking good so i can do a cob job if i have to. whole interior of whatever car i get will be gutted anyways.

Some of the early and mid 80's 2wd full size pickups had 4.3 4 speed set ups if you can find one of them. Some had the SM465 behind it which is damn near bomb proof, though it is a granny gear transmission. I think some came with an A833 OD transmission as well which is a fairly stout transmission.

i wont be using 1st gear very often. i think the clutch fork is different in the trucks than the g bodies though. i know some guys that run saginaws in 8cyl cars on the dirt track and ill have to chat them up a bit when i see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor