4.88 gear ratio??

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2007
iowa
anyone tried one of these in a street car? I just picked up a parts car with a good TH-350 transmission, weak 350 motor and a 4.88 rear end (its an enduro car) for 300 bucks, just wondering if the rear end is worth keeping.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
is it a posi? the carrier might be good to keep if it is. Those gears on the street would be nuts. You would be in 3rd gear before you crossed an intersection :lol: But you'd get there quickly. They would be good for 1/8 mile strips or pulling stumps with your monte :lol:

snowman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2007
iowa
yeah i figured itd be a good rear end for 1/8 mile, and thats what the drag strip is closest to me as well, i plan on stroking out the 350 and adding a shift kit and 2500-3000 stall converter to the turbo transmission. as far as posi i'm not sure, i'll find out tomorrow when i pick it up. i definately want posi. the car its in though is a 76 monte, not sure if its the stock rear end or what or where it came from, so i'm not even sure if the whole pumpkin and axle will fit under my 87

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Oh come on!! I hear stories from my dad sportin' 5.38s in his tunnel rammed 455 '67 GS back in the day!! :shock:

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
Oh come on!! I hear stories from my dad sportin' 5.38s in his tunnel rammed 455 '67 GS back in the day!!

That's because gas was 10 cents a gallon so no one cared that you revved the piss out of the car all the time. :D

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Why is it that in this day in age everyone wants high gearing? I consider my 3 speed and 3.73's an economy set up. Theres nothing wrong with reving out a motor. And besides I don't really want to go faster than 110 anyways! I'd rather just get there really quick :D

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I'm thinking or running 4.10's with my 200r4 until I put a new rear in me Regal. Do you think that is too much or go for 3.73's?

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
Go with the 4.10's if you are running an over drive. your final ratio will be like 2.90 thats like having stock gears in 3 speed car on the highway .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor