Rack and pinion vs manual gear box, spill pan vs engine diaper

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

I’m back into this for the winter. But I have another goal - lose weight off the front. I want to put in a rack, but I’m struggling to find a rack that will be close to the correct geometry. TRZ offers a manual rack, but without their spindles, the turning radius is terrible (on a stick spindle). I’ve considered swapping to manual steering gear just to lose the weight of the power steering pump.

bracketchev1221 - and thoughts?

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Thought back when most of us was young the Vega manual box was an option for a smaller/lighter manual unit.

Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I'd consider the steering ratio before jumping over to save weight.
The quick ratio might make the difference in hitting the wall or not one day.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If I remember mine was a universal rack from flaming river with the tie rod kit from I think it was S&W race cars. It does help allow you to put any oil pan you want in the car, maybe even rig the crossmember to be removable to drop the pan with th engine in the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpeg
    IMG_1434.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If I remember mine was a universal rack from flaming river with the tie rod kit from I think it was S&W race cars. It does help allow you to put any oil pan you want in the car, maybe even rig the crossmember to be removable to drop the pan with th engine in the car.
Did it affect the turning radius?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Well it didn’t affect driving around at the track I never had to parallel park it. Cant say how it would be on the road

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’ve decided to go with a manual steering box - a new S10 box and pitman arm seems to be ‘normal’ GBody upgrade. It should be quite a weight savings, but I’m hoping the increased ratio isn’t going to make it drive awfully. It looks to be close to a 40lb weight savings. And considering that it’s in front of the front tires I’m hoping it changes my front to rear weight bias by my rental 1-2%. I’ll post up some pics when I get it fully installed.

And of course update with a drivability change.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor