455 Buick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Intragration said:
Toby, do you have any specs on the STP Oil Treatment? I haven't been able to find official word on how much ZDDP is in it, but based on some things I've been able to find, adding just one bottle (and depending on how much is in the oil you're using) may not bring the zinc levels up to what's in the VR1. There are other products that are made specifically for adding ZDDP, which may contain more. For some reason, it bothers me that the additives have to mix into the oil, as opposed to being a part of the package. I'm sure STP and the others don't hurt, but I feel more comfortable using an oil that already has the zinc built in.

You know I havent researched it all that much. Mike over at TA PRM said run a bottle and you will never have problems. I agree with security and running the VR1 I have heard it is good too.

455rocket

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2011
PA
sum_cut said:
Reading around 30 psi, new cam but it's just a little bigger than stock. I should have bought new lifters when I got the cam but you live and learn, I'm on the way to put them in now and see if that makes a differance

One other thing while you have it apart. As mentioned check that pushrod length. If you have the old ones make sure the new ones are the same length, just a hair shorter it'll screw it all up. 30 psi hot or cold?

sum_cut

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2011
Greer Sc
Pushrods are same length 9.375".

jimmyp618

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2009
I use TA's adjustable pushrods in mine Just to be safe and have a lil adjustablity with cam changes scince buicks are non adjustable rockers.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
sum_cut said:
Reading around 30 psi, new cam but it's just a little bigger than stock. I should have bought new lifters when I got the cam but you live and learn, I'm on the way to put them in now and see if that makes a differance

Unless you have roller lifters the only time you would reuse an old lifter is on the same cam they were ran on before and in the exact same location. If you have flat tappets and used old lifters you could have wiped out a brand new cam with very little run time, which means not only would you be buying a new cam for your new lifters you would have to tear down engine because all your lobes would now just be metal shavings. Off coarse this is a worst case scenario, hopefully you find some other obvious problem first but I wouldn't put new lifters in until you can get really good look at your cam lobes.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
565bbchevy said:
sum_cut said:

Unless you have roller lifters the only time you would reuse an old lifter is on the same cam they were ran on before and in the exact same location. If you have flat tappets and used old lifters you could have wiped out a brand new cam with very little run time, which means not only would you be buying a new cam for your new lifters you would have to tear down engine because all your lobes would now just be metal shavings. Off coarse this is a worst case scenario, hopefully you find some other obvious problem first but I wouldn't put new lifters in until you can get really good look at your cam lobes.

you bring up a good point. Maybe he should take a oil sample over to the machine shop and see what he's got. That be tell-tale

sum_cut

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2011
Greer Sc
Broke it down yesterday checked my cam ( no damage to it ) went ahaed and put n new lifters and it's still doing the samething. Im guessing next step is to find a longer, or adjustable push rod. Anything else I should checkout before I go that route?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
sum_cut said:
Broke it down yesterday checked my cam ( no damage to it ) went ahaed and put n new lifters and it's still doing the samething. Im guessing next step is to find a longer, or adjustable push rod. Anything else I should checkout before I go that route?

So the cam looks good that's really good news
The old lifters looked good on the bottom also?
So if it ran the same with the new lifters then it most likely has nothing to do with collasped lifters. The pushrods you have are they marked with there length on them or did you measure them?
Do you have any tools that you can measure the distance between the top of the pushrod and the bottom of the rocker arm when the cam is on the base circle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor