455 Gbody

Status
Not open for further replies.

markfothebeast

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2007
Eagan, MN
You would need to buy the $600-$700 G-Body 455 headers. You would also need a kit that relocates your oil filter. You would also want a bigger rearend if your running the 7.5" cause that will only last about a week. I bought a 455 and was about to do this and changed my mind and sold the motor because 455 eagle rods are about $600 and the parts are all very expensive.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
markfothebeast said:
You would need to buy the $600-$700 G-Body 455 headers. You would also need a kit that relocates your oil filter. You would also want a bigger rearend if your running the 7.5" cause that will only last about a week. I bought a 455 and was about to do this and changed my mind and sold the motor because 455 eagle rods are about $600 and the parts are all very expensive.

!

No special headers or filter relocator thingies required! Just out of curiosity where did you get this info from?! I will be able to find out more details on how to do this right in about a week.... Ditto on the BBC swap. I think the only thing needed there was a set of '71-ish Chevelle manifolds, but I could be wrongo.

Sorry but I keep seeing everyone saying you've got to cut this up and get headers and make all sorts of wild-*ss blue-wrench modifcations to get a big block in there (Olds Chevy or otherwise), and it just ain't so.

But probably yeah on the rear. If you're going to be punching it and doing burnouts a lot (or racing), otherwise you'll probably be OK.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The key thing to note about Olds motors is that the big block (400, 425, and 455) are externally identical to the small block (260, 307, 330, 350, 403) except for the taller deck height. The starter, oil filter, and motor mount holes are all in exactly the same place. If the oil filter fit the G-body on the 307, it will fit with the 455. The taller deck DOES reduce clearance from the valve covers to the A/C box and the master cylinder, but it still fits. The carb and air cleaner will also sit about an inch higher due to the deck height differences. If you use a high-rise intake that increase will be even greater. If hood clearance is an issue, get a late-60s Olds Toronado intake manifold. These have a depressed carb pad for hood clearance on the Toro (the FWD required the engine to be shoved forward and a little higher than in the other full size Olds cars.

PILOT

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
I just found a Rocket 455 for pretty cheap.

Would there be a HUGE difference in gas consumption? I plan on keeping my 200-4R and 2.52 gears (for now).

I was thinking about a 327, but this 455 is fairly cheap, and runs excellent. What a tough decision.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
PILOT said:
I just found a Rocket 455 for pretty cheap.

Would there be a HUGE difference in gas consumption? I plan on keeping my 200-4R and 2.52 gears (for now).

It all comes back to the old "when driven the same..." :wink:

o3_milk

n00b
Jun 7, 2007
Winnipeg, Canada
I'm looking to swap a 455 buick into my 1980 Pontiac Grand LeMans. it currently has a 305 SBC and i'm guessing that it won't just fit on the mounts like the 307 would. does anyone know what parts i'd need to put the 455 in or where i could get them.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
o3 Milk, you need to start your own thread.
Pilot, There does not have to be a hugh difference in mileage. See my signature. The 200-4R can live with a good shift kit such as the one from CKPerformance and a large cheap transmission cooler. But those gears would have to go. To me the no brainer is to grab the 455. To make the little 327 go (its all relative) you have to cam it hard spin it hard use a bigger stall converter and numerically bigger gears. Now gas mileage & reliability just went to crap and maybe pump gas. Or you can keep the 327 stockish and slow but reliable car that get better mileage. Keep the 327 for a lightweight drag car build.

Oldspower & ROP also have lots of guys running 455s in there g-bod. www.robertpowersmotorsports.com is a good site also. A bit dated but well documented with pics and the honesty of first timer 455 to g-body mistakes. Cool car low 12s pump gas real street car with about 15mpg before being stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor