455 issues... blowby??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Okay guys looking for some info because I obviously dont know what im doing. Ive got a 455 thats been bored .030 over. Dick miller cam, E heads that have been milled and then edelbrock intake with quadrajet carb. Engine has about 40-50 miles on it driving, and then atleast another 3-4 running in the garage while trying to work the bugs out and get the carb and timing right. Not including the cam break in that was done on a test stand. I didnt hook up pcv and the last couple of times that it had been ran ive noticed some blowby. Well i did some searches and read everything i could find on blowby , put in a pcv valve in the drivers side valve cover to the front port on my carb and a push in breather in the passenger side. Well drove it for about 10 miles last night and runs pretty well after getting everything tuned and adjusted. Has a small hesitation now when you push the gas from a stop but is only for a split second. Well got back from the drive calibrating my speedo and parked it. Went back out about a half hour later to take another drive and as soon as it fired up, you would have though i was fumigating the neighborhood for mosquitoes. Huge thick white cloud from both tailpipes. But then went away while idling just as fast as it came out and no visible or running issues issues. Drove it home and parked it. Fired it back up tonight and had just a small white puff but nothing big at all from the tailpipes and when i popped the breather in the pass valve cover i have the blowby sludge/condensation in it and then condensation under the oil cap. Also had a tiny big of the sludge on the end if the new pcv valve i put on. Going to do a compression check to see if i can narrow down any more info.... drained the oil and pulled the filter. No chunks, metal shavings or anything like I expected to find. anyone else have any ideas or tests to do to figure out whats wrong? Possible ring issues? Maybe the havent seated or have the wrong gap? Any help would be appreciated! It broke in just fine on the run stand and havent had any issues with it. Even when running pig rich from the quadrajet being outta adjustment and timing being off (which i was worried about washing a bearing out) im just short on ideas other than yanking the engine out which i dont wanna do if i dont have too
a015874086a36008767f3f282812054a.jpg
1369014ffd9f22f7d9045a4d25cf5ebb.jpg
fead28b948c8c8a2a6ff5fb15efbc1d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Condensation is normal and harmless. White smoke that goes away id say is condensation in the exhaust. What do you mean by blowby? Visible vapors shooting out of the valve cover like a steam locomotive? Or just eminating vapor?

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Condensation is normal and harmless. White smoke that goes away id say is condensation in the exhaust. What do you mean by blowby? Visible vapors shooting out of the valve cover like a steam locomotive? Or just eminating vapor?

Visible white smoke/vapor from the valve cover. I had none that i could see when the engine was first assembled and the cam broken in and its progressively gotten worse and now it was very visible before i drained the oil and filter and then just finished a compression test.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Results of the compression test. Ran it 3 times per cylinder just to make sure i had accurate readings

5f8cd37b28033f9269fdb7fa6a78ddc2.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It very well could be the rings aren't seated yet. Did you put it in low and go up and down on the throttle to break in the rings?

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Those numbers look pretty good overall. Any abnormal build up on the spark plugs?

Reactions: 1 user

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Those numbers look pretty good overall. Any abnormal build up on the spark plugs?

Actually yes they were all oil fouled and that i put a new set if plugs in it after the compression test and ran it. Up to temp and then for about 5 minutes at temp and it still smoked a little bit but i cant tell if its residual oil burning off or what [emoji2369] i put a clean papertowl as close to the outlet of the tailpipe as i could hold it and nothin noticeable on the paper either. Going to try to get a coolant pressure test kit and see what i can find with that
8863b8ccf256b455018f3f44d4f06382.jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd do as suggested, and break in the rings more. it takes more than 40 miles and break in to seat the rings. good ol italian tuneup. don't gotta wring it out, just slowly roll into it in 1st gear, upto like 30mph, then let off, and do so. go upto the highway, do a gentle pull to 55mph (or whatever speed you deem necessary), and get back off the highway at the next exit. few times of this and rings should be seated. change oil after.

Reactions: 1 user

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I'd do as suggested, and break in the rings more. it takes more than 40 miles and break in to seat the rings. good ol italian tuneup. don't gotta wring it out, just slowly roll into it in 1st gear, upto like 30mph, then let off, and do so. go upto the highway, do a gentle pull to 55mph (or whatever speed you deem necessary), and get back off the highway at the next exit. few times of this and rings should be seated. change oil after.

Well thats whats weird. All the miles have all been light pulls all less than 45 because of trying to tune my transmission controller and not wanting to destroy anything. Ill try it again though I appreciate the help!

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I'd be looking at coolant leaks. Maybe around the intake manifold ports. Its not the rings. Rings would be blue smoke and if the engine was honed right, rings are seated in almost as soon as the engine fires. My race engines get a warm up on the dyno for about 5-10 minutes with a slight load, and then its wide open. They don't run 50 miles on the dyno before we beat on them.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor