455 olds with 200r4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Here's the pic of the id tag......

That is a 200-4r trans out of a standard v6 car. probably a 252 according to a few treads i've read. you can build it up to work well with the 455 if you have the right parts, and a great builder. definitely want to get upgraded internals for the torque and a better valve body for sure. i only know this because i'm going to be getting one built shortly from a monte carlo ss

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
What level is the 455 being built to? That will have a lot of influence on how much the trans behind it will need to be built.

Hutch

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A 200 can be built to withstand just about anything you're going to throw at it thanks to the GN crowd. As with everything HP related, it comes down to how much do you want to spend. Taking the deep end dive and trying to build it yourself can save you some money on the front end and possibly some heartache on the back end. There are many builders out there though that can pull it off for a solid 450-500HP/TQ build for $2000-2500 with your core.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/wanna-see-what-a-200-4r-can-handle.69770/page-3

There are a couple of good links in this thread on 'how to' do it yourself, but now it's not for everyone. We paid for ours as a mild stage (500 HP), then I added some front end components to get it in the 700+ range. But after a couple of years I had some one else (more knowledgeable than me)rebuild the pump and change the worn clutches. We are on the second season without a rebuild and we are well past the 700 wheel HP number and we plan to have it tore down over this coming winter for a checkout.
So what I'm saying, is if your 455 is stock plus a little, and you want an OD then the 200-4R is the way to go. If you can get by with a 3 speed, then a Turbo 400 is definitely the way to go (but 4th gear is REALLY handy if you intend to drive it much on the highway).

So regarding your question of buying the transmission core you found - BUY IT, but remember, it's a core if it's going behind a 455.

Lastly, post #30 is my favorite in the link I attached :):)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor