455 overkill for daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
i have come across a buick 455 and an olds 455 for sale for about 300 a piece running, is a 7.5 liter 455 ci v8 overkill for daily driving street use?

no such thing as overkill 😀

If frequent trips to the gas pump aren't a problem for ya? I only drive mine on weekends for now.

yeah i saw your 455 buick right q dub? its nice, how many mpg's you say you get?

pimplogic said:
yeah i saw your 455 buick right q dub? its nice, how many mpg's you say you get?

Yeah, I gotta Buick 455. I don't drive mine everyday so I can't give a MPG estimate, but I've burnt through half a tank of gas in 2 days. I still gotta fine tune my new carb and adjust my fuel pressure regulator though, my pressure's too high.

two days? half a tank in two days? jeez i burn thru that in about 3 with the 307

pimplogic said:
i have come across a buick 455 and an olds 455 for sale for about 300 a piece running, is a 7.5 liter 455 ci v8 overkill for daily driving street use?

Absolutely not. Just wondering why you ask (in terms of power? weight? mileage?). I had a stock 454 with (oval port heads) in my 81 GP and it had monstrous tire-shredding torque. The mileage was better than expected too -- I had a new Holly 750 vac. sec. carb on it, and it burned less fuel than the mild 350 it replaced (no joke)! I did notice the added weight in the front of the car, but with all the extra power it was nothing to be concerned about.

I assume a stock used 455 will be similar -- you will be very happy with it (provided it fits your transmission).

By the way, my current street daily driver had a 555 crate motor. Even with high flow cats, it's ghastly loud. If I start the car and you're standing in the garage, it will scare the living sh*t out of you, to the point your hair will stand on edge and you will slowly make your way outside, where it's "safer" lol.

ok thanks i am definetly gonna go for the 455 at the end of summer, so what gears should i run in the rear to give me some decent highway driving as well, also ints gonna be coupled to the th350 would that need replacing as well? im not really worried about front springs or shocks im gonna get some heavy duty shocks when i do my brakes as well as cross drilled rotors for the front.

What year is the 455 Olds? What heads are on it? If its a 'J' headed 455, they're probably at the bottom of the list performance wise but will still get a G-body into the 13's with a very mild build.

I swapped the 455 into my '87 back in college and it was a daily driver. Never had any problems. With the TH-2004R and 3.73 gears it managed mid-13's in the 1/4 and 12-14mpg or so.

For rear gears with the TH-350 I'd stick with 3.08's or 3.23's. With the massive amount of torque these engines make, you don't need a lot of gear.

well its either the 455 or a t type 3.8 from a turbo buick motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor