4DR Sleeper G-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
Finished the graphics for the valve covers today and used the laser to etch them in. I am really happy with how the grayscale came out on the bag the ghost is holding, and the flames on the font:

valve_cover_etching008_overview_mini.jpg

Also notice the black top on the cam sync unit (where the distributor used to be). I powdercoated it in a flat black.

The nitrous bar has been epoxied into the manifold now, and then I milled it flat on top then drilled a small hole straight down to hold a spring roll pin. That way it can't ever blow or vibrate out of position. Sort of like pinning your crank. You can't see it in this picture but maybe I'll post a closeup for a while. The blue tape is on there to keep stuff out of the holes on the spraybar until the build is done.

A closeup:

valve_cover_etching002_closeup_mini.jpg

Now I need to finish porting the header adapters (to the Stahl header pattern) because they come much smaller than the AFR exhaust ports. Then it's on to modifying the headers to accept one EGT probe per header tube. Then I can start test fitting the new motor.

Jim

jdracer13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2011
Atlanta and Pittsburgh
I like the Etching. :D I would watch out for valve cover leaks, I had a set of those valve covers, and the cracked in about 3 months around the weld for the studs, I was not happy :evil: , just keep an I on them. A friend of mine also had the same thing happen. Other wise nice build.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks for the heads up on the valve covers. Were yours from Hamburger as well? I'll keep an eye on that area for cracks, and not overtighten them.

Cam Update: Based on my power expectations and the fact that I'll generally be running E85, I worked with a respected cam designer to spec some new Comp Cams solid roller lobes. With the 1.7 intake ratio on the T&D shaft rockers, and a 1.8 exhaust ratio, the new specs are: 256/[email protected]", net lift .692"Int/.707"Exh, 115LSA. Springs are 700# Pacalloy. After accounting for lash and the rocker ratios, this cam should act like a 250/[email protected]" hydraulic roller but rev safely to 7500rpm.

Jim

1980PontiacWagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2011
DeltaT,
Did you do the laser etching yourself or did you send it out to someone...I've been wanting to have my valve covers etched for a long time..I wanna put "350" or something like that to put on my big block...everyone around here is into rice burners so they wouldn't be able to tell its a big block.

jdracer13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2011
Atlanta and Pittsburgh
Yes. They are good valve covers I thought they were great and looked awesome with the Cloyes CNC timing cover, I ended back with a set of the good old aluminum ones I had on the 358 originally. As soon as I saw yours I was like I loved those, until I remember them cracking. But hey they may have gotten a better batch of aluminum. I don't know. We had some one come into our shop with a set of those valve covers that he had been running for years, so I don't know. My buddies valve covers were in the same shipment as mine. So it could very well have been a bad batch of aluminum.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
1980PontiacWagon, yes I belong to the TechShop (www.techshop.ws) in San Jose, CA, and I did them myself after taking a class on using the Laser Cutter/Etcher. Putting 350 on a BB would be sly... 8) What are your valvecovers made of and what coating is on them?

jdracer13, thanks, I hope I don't get a bad batch. The welds are really clean but you never know until you put some miles and heat cycles on them, eh?

Jim

1980PontiacWagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2011
DeltaT,
My valve covers are just stamped steel that are chromed. but I was thinking of sand blasting them and haveing them powdercoated...not sure what color...possibly black.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
980PontiacWagon, I just checked on laser etching a powder coated surface, and the pros don't recommend it. It can leave burned areas and residue. They suggest pad printing if you want a logo over powdercoat. Or you could make a sticker or metal plate to stick on with a logo.

Jim

hotwheelsboy28

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2011
Jasper, Tennessee
Very nice build! wish I had some cash like that to put into my bu, but it takes time and pacience. Sometimes i wish my car was finished but other times glad it ain't just like your stories of folks thinking it's a beater then you blow their doors off. It's fun messing with them just the look on their faces do it for me.Good luck on your build!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor