4L60E w/ 2.41 rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
Torque multiplication is provided by your axle gears.

For example, let’s assume that the engine is delivering 100 lb-ft of torque to the pinion gear. If the gear ratio of the ring-and-pinion is 4.10:1, then the output torque is 410 lb-ft (100×4.10). Now if the gear ratio is 2.49:1, then the output torque will be 249 lb-ft. when in a 1:1 ratio in the trans.

The 4.10:1 gears put way more torque & power to the ground than the 2.49:1 gears. This will accelerate the vehicle faster without modifying the engine.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Gotcha, I'm 20' up a tree, freezing!

Just killing time, brain slows down!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Correct, what Jared was referring to was that I have the entire 2wd blazer that’s giving up the engine and trans (among other parts), and was suggesting using the gears as well....

See what I mean, forgot the quote!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Aren’t the axle splines a different count, and axle shafts different lengths?
I think you are right, together with compatibility of a 3 series carrier with your 2 series housing. I was thinking swap the ring and pinion and go with the GN replacement axles. Would probably be less expensive to just source another 7.5 with a better ratio like 3.42 or 3.73.

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
It is probably worth mentioning that with 2.41's and a deep .70 overdrive together, you are going to be running some stupidly low RPM's at 55.

I had a setup with factory 14" tires, 2.73 rear gears and a .83 overdrive gear. This would run about 1350 RPM at 55. With your setup, you might be looking at 1150 RPM at 55.

Needless to say, a 4.3 doesn't make much power at that RPM and will use a crapload of fuel trying to hold speed.

Lowdollarbuild

Apprentice
Dec 12, 2018
N E Georgia
How's it gonna drive real world? Is the gearing going to be weird and annoying to drive?

It would most likely be behind an Ls, but not ruling out a vortec.

Or should I leave th200/th350?
Not a big difference in 1st 2nd & 3rd gears between those transmissions. Transmission temps will be higher in stop & go driving with that differential gearing.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I think you are right, together with compatibility of a 3 series carrier with your 2 series housing. I was thinking swap the ring and pinion and go with the GN replacement axles. Would probably be less expensive to just source another 7.5 with a better ratio like 3.42 or 3.73.

There are other ways to accomplish this as well, but the using GN axles in the Blazer 28 spline diff works. I've used stock 2WD S-10 axles by adding a 5/16 space plate between the brake backing plate and the housing flange. Also, Moser will make a set of axles for you that will exponentially stronger than anything stock, including the GN, for less than $300. With an upgraded axle, then weak lik will definitely be inside the carrier at the pinion bearings.

As mentioned many times in the past, the stock 7.5/7.625 doesn't get much love from the high HP community, but to daily drive and not launch with sticky tires it will work just fine in sub 500HP applications - AND THEY ARE CHEAP to fix if needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor