Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

C7illini

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 22, 2021
Thanks guys,thought the 4l80e would be considerbly heavier and take more room in the tunnel area,but you have convinced me,will probably get a Hughes 750 unit from summit! Will run Holley ecm,mounts,crossmember and headers ,a BTR truck Norris cam/springs and Ls 7 lifters. I have installed a 9” with c5 brakes. Which flexplate will work with this motor trans setup? Thanks again. Rod. Will have low mile L31 crate engine with sniper injection with 200r4,also stock rear ended with possi and new 3:42 gears,new brakes with it,have brackets to install c5 brakes on it!

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks guys,thought the 4l80e would be considerbly heavier and take more room in the tunnel area,but you have convinced me,will probably get a Hughes 750 unit from summit! Will run Holley ecm,mounts,crossmember and headers ,a BTR truck Norris cam/springs and Ls 7 lifters. I have installed a 9” with c5 brakes. Which flexplate will work with this motor trans setup? Thanks again. Rod. Will have low mile L31 crate engine with sniper injection with 200r4,also stock rear ended with possi and new 3:42 gears,new brakes with it,have brackets to install c5 brakes on it!

Stay away from the LS7 lifters. There's a much better part number out there, but the LS7 lifters I'm told are much more prone to failure. Also +1 on staying away from 4L60/65/70, I had more than one transmission builder swear up and down they can build one to live behind a blown big block but they're not the one footing the bill when they're proven wrong.

Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
4L80E with a 35lb Circle D 4k Stall in my SS behind a stock 5.3l for a bit before I put in the 6.0l & Built T56 was pretty fun actually. Majority of the loss in the 80E is the Convertor, yea the guts inside are heavy but the lighter Convertor makes a great difference.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Stay away from the LS7 lifters. There's a much better part number out there, but the LS7 lifters I'm told are much more prone to failure. Also +1 on staying away from 4L60/65/70, I had more than one transmission builder swear up and down they can build one to live behind a blown big block but they're not the one footing the bill when they're proven wrong.
When I needed a set of lifters, during the covid LS lifter shortage, I found the only budget lifter available were the Sealed Power lifters, and fortunately they were a stock item from Advanced Auto. I've been spinning pretty religiously 7K 8-10 seconds at a time lol without any failures. If you want a one and done program for lifters, then buy a set of Johnson slow leak down. They aren't cheap, but if you have a Johnson lifter fail, then you'll be the only person I know that has ever had that happen.
4L80E with a 35lb Circle D 4k Stall in my SS behind a stock 5.3l for a bit before I put in the 6.0l & Built T56 was pretty fun actually. Majority of the loss in the 80E is the Convertor, yea the guts inside are heavy but the lighter Convertor makes a great difference.
I assume you had the lockup programmed to work well with that converter.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Well yea lol it's was just the lack of rotating mass in general that greatly helped. Stock 80E Convertor is 80lbs or so. This was a 4k stall rated for my old stroker setup, stock 5.3l literally on the floor with all it had would maybe flash at like 3500 off the hit.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
When I needed a set of lifters, during the covid LS lifter shortage, I found the only budget lifter available were the Sealed Power lifters, and fortunately they were a stock item from Advanced Auto. I've been spinning pretty religiously 7K 8-10 seconds at a time lol without any failures. If you want a one and done program for lifters, then buy a set of Johnson slow leak down. They aren't cheap, but if you have a Johnson lifter fail, then you'll be the only person I know that has ever had that happen.

does that mean these are the lifters I should buy for my Gen IV LS w/AFM...that failed? I did the cheap fix; disable AFM and knock the lifter loose with a modified pushrod.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
does that mean these are the lifters I should buy for my Gen IV LS w/AFM...that failed? I did the cheap fix; disable AFM and knock the lifter loose with a modified pushrod.
I removed the AFM cover and solenoids and installed a cover designed to block off the oil ports. Then you can install Gen 3 lifters and pushrods. I believe the part number # of the lifter was HT2148.

Did you disable the oil pressure bypass and swap oil pumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor