4L80e transmission swap need info...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I like my trannys with alot of makeup...
it's pretty cool when they blow my shaft, but I don't like it when they break my rear-end :shock:
:wtf:

:wink:

:rofl:

... but seriously, OD is amazing. I have 3.42 gears and cruise at 2000rpm at 62mph, 1800rpm in lockup. But the more I read about the 200-4r, the more I wish I had that than the 700-r4. Not that I have anything against the 700...
... I just like the longer 1st gear. And it would have saved getting a new driveshaft, and fabbing up the cross member. Not to mention, because the 700 is oddly mounted on my "new" cross member, it does eat thru transmission mounts.

Either of those transmissions are sturdy if built right. I beat on mine alot and all I gotta do is watch the fluid and heat under heavy racing on hot days.

What sucks though, is up here in Ottawa Canada, the 200-4r is quite rare... But everyone seems to have 700-r4s.
... must be all the Italian Gino's breaking their IROCs, then parting them out :rofl:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
nycutlass said:
yes the 4l80e is a kick off of the th400 just with over drive :D i think mine is a 1991 or 1992 2wd trany....i just have to cut one ear off on the left side of the bell housing and that should be it for fitment in the tunnel..only thing is holding me back is the speedo part ...i want to go the cheaper way out with that part ....as for the diesel transmission computer im very interested in that but need more details on that part .i was just going to get the TCI stand alone transmission controller .
I did get the TCI electronic speedo sender and cable for my speedo...... then, afterwards, plans changed and I ended up using an Autometer speedometer so I didnt' need the sender and cable any more. It's still new in the box. Price out what you would pay TCI + shipping + duties (if any) then PM me bro, I'll ship it out to you fast and save you a chunk of money (just don't try to rape me lol, remember it's brand new in the box).

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
Here's some pictures I took during my 4L80E install that might answer some Q's:

Big sucker:
383_mpfi_vortech_4l80e.jpg

transmission shot with install tips:
4dr_4l80e_w_mechspeedoadapterwnotes.jpg

Pretty easy linkage mods to keep the column shift:
4dr_trannylinkagemods4_text.jpg

The TCI T-Com (here badged as a GMPP part but identical electronically):
4dr_tranny_wiring_computer.jpg

At the bottom you see the G-Force transmission crossmember before my minor mods. I worked with John to get him the info to make a true off the shelf model for the G-Body. At the top you see the TCI T-Com shown in the picture above mounted to the inside of the AC Delete panel. Also shown mounted is my Holley 950 Pro Commander ECU and the FJO Racing wideband O2 Controller:
parts_assortment.jpg

I love the 80E and T-Com combo. You can program exactly the personality you want, shift points, downshift points, line pressure profiles in each gear based on speed, TPS, etc. I have mine set so that under 49% Throttle Position (TPS), it's like driving Grandma's Buick around town (no offense to my Buick brothers :D ), but when the throttle hits 50%, the personality moves quickly into 'kill', fully there by about 67% TPS. That means line pressures go way up for firmer shifts, shifts that slap you back in the seat and chirp the drag radials. It will also rev to redline instead of short shifting as soon as possible.

Since I have the laptop with me, I can quickly change programs based on traction - I have one that shortshifts through first (at about 4500rpm) to get into a better traction zone. Very effective since it stays out of boost pretty much.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i heard they dont make a floor shifter that would work for the 4l80e because of the odd throw it has ?
DeltaT said:
Here's some pictures I took during my 4L80E install that might answer some Q's:

Big sucker:

transmission shot with install tips:

Pretty easy linkage mods to keep the column shift:

The TCI T-Com (here badged as a GMPP part but identical electronically):

At the bottom you see the G-Force transmission crossmember before my minor mods. I worked with John to get him the info to make a true off the shelf model for the G-Body. At the top you see the TCI T-Com shown in the picture above mounted to the inside of the AC Delete panel. Also shown mounted is my Holley 950 Pro Commander ECU and the FJO Racing wideband O2 Controller:
I love the 80E and T-Com combo. You can program exactly the personality you want, shift points, downshift points, line pressure profiles in each gear based on speed, TPS, etc. I have mine set so that under 49% Throttle Position (TPS), it's like driving Grandma's Buick around town (no offense to my Buick brothers :D ), but when the throttle hits 50%, the personality moves quickly into 'kill', fully there by about 67% TPS. That means line pressures go way up for firmer shifts, shifts that slap you back in the seat and chirp the drag radials. It will also rev to redline instead of short shifting as soon as possible.

Since I have the laptop with me, I can quickly change programs based on traction - I have one that shortshifts through first (at about 4500rpm) to get into a better traction zone. Very effective since it stays out of boost pretty much.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
nycutlass said:
i heard they dont make a floor shifter that would work for the 4l80e because of the odd throw it has
I use the B&M Megashifter with mine and it works just fine ;)

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
this looks like an awesome swap, but damn over 1K for a computer!? i think ill save up to get a 200r4 built up and not hassel with the 'puters. nice walkthrough pic delta t. looks real good. now if i ever win the lottery ill know what to do lol.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
nice job and nice write up! any chance you know the weight of that beast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor