4L80e transmission swap need info...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
ok guys i just got my hands on a 4l80e i think i want to keep this with the computer setup (stand alone computer),has anyone done it yet ?has anyone got around the speedo setup without changing the tail shaft housing ?any info would be awesome on anything dealing with this install.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
that's what, an electronic output for the speedo? you could go to a digital dash (like the dakota digital one)
IIRC it's pretty much bolt in, but you do need an electronic throttle sensor. i thought i remembered a company in LI that made conversion kits and torque converters, but can't find 'em.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
thanks that is a start

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The 4L80E is huge, so expect to make trans tunnel mods on your car to get it to fit. You'll need to fab a crossmember since it's much longer than any trans offered in the G-bodies. New driveshaft also.

The most important thing to be aware of is that there are almost yearly variations in the 4L80E. The 91-93 transmissions used a different electrical connector and force motor PWM waveform than the later transmissions. There were also internal differences and the oiling difference in 1997. If you're using the diesel stand-alone computer from the 91-93 trucks, the trans must match. If you're using an aftermarket controller, then just be sure the controller matches the trans.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
actually the 4l80 isn't THAT big, it's an OD version of the th400 which plenty of people have used.
i'm not saying it may not be a tight fit, but it will fit.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
yes the 4l80e is a kick off of the th400 just with over drive :D i think mine is a 1991 or 1992 2wd trany....i just have to cut one ear off on the left side of the bell housing and that should be it for fitment in the tunnel..only thing is holding me back is the speedo part ...i want to go the cheaper way out with that part ....as for the diesel transmission computer im very interested in that but need more details on that part .i was just going to get the TCI stand alone transmission controller .

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
If your already too deep $$$ wise in this transmission that you got your hands on then run with it.If not, Might I suggest selling it and going with a 700-r4? These are a very good transmission if built right.I just recently went from a Th-400 to this...Man I love it...

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
JBreu said:
If your already too deep $$$ wise in this transmission that you got your hands on then run with it.If not, Might I suggest selling it and going with a 700-r4? These are a very good transmission if built right.I just recently went from a Th-400 to this...Man I love it...
700r4 1st and 2nd gear spread is to far it will blow sooner or later, and as far as the tv cable setup im not a fan of that,even there new full preasure style transmissons that do away with the tv cable still has some issues of the pump failing to soon its one of those things i guess .some trany builders in my area that even told me to my face dont do it !, some people get lucky and have no issues .now the th400 is a monster and i have one all rebuilt ready to rock ..but over drive ! would be even nicer .just the idea or running on the high way with my 389 gears sound so nice to me lol besides i do alot of highway cruzin :D ,and i picked up a 4l80e cheap for $200.00 so for that price why not try it ...i heard guys useing diesel truck computers but need more infor on that .i know tci makes a unit which is alittle high but looks to have the best style software.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
nycutlass said:
JBreu said:
700r4 1st and 2nd gear spread is to far it will blow sooner or later, and as far as the tv cable setup im not a fan of that,even there new full preasure style transmissons that do away with the tv cable still has some issues of the pump failing to soon its one of those things i guess .some trany builders in my area that even told me to my face dont do it !, some people get lucky and have no issues .now the th400 is a monster and i have one all rebuilt ready to rock ..but over drive ! would be even nicer .just the idea or running on the high way with my 389 gears sound so nice to me lol besides i do alot of highway cruzin :D ,and i picked up a 4l80e cheap for $200.00 so for that price why not try it ...i heard guys useing diesel truck computers but need more infor on that .i know tci makes a unit which is alittle high but looks to have the best style software.
Some guys will say go with the 700-r4 and others will say go with the 200-4r. Even with the full pressure valve body you will still need the TV cable..As lons as your transmission is buils RIGHT bo a good builder it will hold up, no matter what kind of transmission you have...I guess it's just a matter of opinion....I went with the 700-r4 so I could go w/o the computer.Anyways I love the O/D and you will too...Good luck :)

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
JBreu said:
nycutlass said:
JBreu said:
Some guys will say go with the 700-r4 and others will say go with the 200-4r. Even with the full pressure valve body you will still need the TV cable..As lons as your transmission is buils RIGHT bo a good builder it will hold up, no matter what kind of transmission you have...I guess it's just a matter of opinion....I went with the 700-r4 so I could go w/o the computer.Anyways I love the O/D and you will too...Good luck :)
i agree with you on opinion and builder ....i bet you do love that setup. super low first gear (310) with 410 rear nice lanches u must do

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor