5.3 ls motor potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

japc74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2009
I have an opportunity to get a 5.3 ls motor for 500 dollars. I see a lot of people going in the ls direction and I really want to do the same. Is the 5.3 a good baseline or should I just pitch this idea and look for a lq4/9. I am trying to make a streetable fast 1/4 mile car. Any insight or ideas will help be it positive or negative. Thanks guys

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
The good thing about the 5.3L LS engines are the fact that you can get them cheap and LSx parts work on them :mrgreen:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
They're a great motor, and go for much cheaper than the 6.0 motors.

In this months Hot Rod, they took a 150k mile 5.3 and put an eBay 76mm turbo and an LS6 cam in it and made 600 hp for about $3500

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
i would love to buy a 53 and throw a couple Gn turbos on it.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Damn thats a great deal IMO! I think any LS engine for $500 is a steal unless its trashed.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
3XBrownCutty said:
i would love to buy a 53 and throw a couple Gn turbos on it.

what you said, when I grenade my little 3.8 LC2, that is what I am doing!

japc74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2009
Hanks guys. I don't know the mileage yet but the motor is still in the suburban. I will update you with the info I get on it. I like the carb set up on these engines and I'll probably go that route down the road. Anyone know any high horse power combos for the 5.3?

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
grab the latest hotrod mag, like Blake said they had a pretty good writeup. carcraft just did a head comparison for the LS motors too... turbo is probablle the best bang for the buck, i havent done too much reading on carb. setups though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor