5-speed cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
Has anyone ever heard of a factory 5-speed 79 Cutlass. It said in my owners manual that you could get a 5-speed behind a 260 v8. I am trying to figure out which transmission that was!!

If anyone has one, could you please post pics. :D

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
YES! :D I actually had one of these at one point in HS, but ol' dad ripped out the 5-speed for the GP403 on me (whole reason he got it) :D It had to come out though because 1st gear was going out and we couldn't find parts for it. The 5th gear overdrive was nice. :) And yeah it was behind a 260.

I believe it was a Borg Warner T-5(? unsure on the exact spec), the shifter was a top-mounted 'rail' type unit vs. the arms/forks on the 3/4-speed cars. The shifter was a little short thing (about 8-10" hi) that sat about 12" further back on the hump than your 3/4 spd one. Cause with the 60/40 in the GP403 the 60 part had to be all the way back to clear the shifter :/

Used the same pedals/clutch/bellhousing**/interior trim parts though, coz that's all in the GP403 now. The big difference was the crossmember, the mount location was in a different spot for the 5 speed. The driveshaft I think was a std. length too. Not sure on that.

GM used the same transmission (w/ a different shifter handle) in the Monza/Sunbird/Olds Starfire(?) line, too. (WTF was the Buick H-body called?! I don't remember! I think they were H's)

Anyone knows if you can get parts for that trans I'd be interested in more details....

I'll be back there for X-mas, I'll see if it's sitting out somewhere I can shoot a pic or two of the trans itself.

** EDIT: unsure if it was the same bellhousing now that I think about it....

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
Did that car have a counsole, and if it did, how did it differ from the standard cutlass counsole?? I think you are right about it being a t5.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
80ECLT said:
Did that car have a counsole, and if it did, how did it differ from the standard cutlass counsole?? I think you are right about it being a t5.

no, it didn't have a console IIRC. the location of the shifter wouldn't allow for it.

Floydsbuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2006
Western PA
I think the trannys were T-50s. Not like a T-5. Word has it that they sucked.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Floydsbuick said:
I think the trannys were T-50s. Not like a T-5. Word has it that they sucked.
Could be T-50, I really don't remember. Probably right about the sucking part. 8) The car had only like 70-80k miles and 1st was already starting to growl...

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
clean8485 said:
The Buick H body from that time period was called a Skyhawk. I believe that the 260/5 speed was available in '78 as well.
Yeah! That's it! :D I was thinking Skylark but I knew that wasn't right... Thanks!

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
OK This is what it looks like! :D Never mind the rest of the stuff there, I have no idea what it is or what its for! :) You can see what I was talking about re: the shifter and where it sits in the car.

normal_Olds_Trans.jpg

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
Thanks for the pic. That looks like a beast to grt parts for. I think I will just stick with my 4-speed setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor