6.0L For 84 Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Well it happened, I couldn't pass up the price of $750 CDN for a 6.0L with 114,000km including the wiring harness, computer, electronic pedal, coils...pretty much EVERYTHING as far as I could tell. So I have been doing research and reading over the last few months and have pretty much convinced myself to go with an aftermarket computer and wiring for engine control. I would rather pay some extra money and have a self tuning system where I can add some power makers to the engine and not be concerned with it running as efficient as possible. I have been looking at the FAST setup as well as the Holley Terminator hardware. What are people's experience with either one of these units, good or bad, pros and cons to either.

For now I was planning on demolishing a TH250 trans that's in the car now, or a TH350 I have on the shop floor. Later on I would like to swap in a 4L60 so I would need some computer control for the transmission. FAST also offers that controller, but depending on timeline it may be a "later" thing.

Thanks all
EDIT: I should have added that I was intending on first running the motor in its stock form, truck intake and throttle body etc. So whichever system I would go with (and my research leads me to the FAST system) I need it to me modular so it will work well with mods to the engine later on. I would still like to hear what people have to say. On a positive note, when I replaced my fuel tank years ago I'm pretty sure I replaced it with a GN tank because I was planning on running a TPI injection setup. So now i just need to find a good in tank fuel pump setup, one that will work with the digital dash fuel gauge...if that matters.

IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5487.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: V8 Rumble
If going with aftermarket EFI I would go with the FAST XFI system. It is pricey, but it allows you to run the LS setup. That article is great, but it is comparing the TBI setups from all the different companies. The XFI has self learn and user programming and can be setup to run with any combo to the mildest to the wildest combo you can dream of. The Holley system also has the ability to do much of the same things, but requires a bit more tweaking. I am running a FAST EZ system on my 383sbc/700R4 combo in my 84 Regal T-type

Very good price for a 6.0 with likely a lot of life left in it. I understand the advantages of self tuning an aftermarket ECM but they are expensive and if you are planning on a stock tune for a while you can use the factory wiring harness and have the ECM flashed for next to nothing. Subsequent dyno tunes in my area are around $500...not too bad. You might want to spend some time on LS1tech.com and ask opinions there. Most go with factory ECM and harness.

Should I be worried about the stock rear end in this car? Will the 6.0L and 4L60 combination blow it apart? I have read that they aren't the toughest around so I have been looking in to swapping to a Ford 8.8.

Should I be worried about the stock rear end in this car? Will the 6.0L and 4L60 combination blow it apart? I have read that they aren't the toughest around so I have been looking in to swapping to a Ford 8.8.
If your not in a big hurry look around for 8.8's out of fox bodies that already have 5 lug axles. I see people parting them out on craigslist all the time and offering nice 8.8's with desirable gear ratios and 5 lug axles. Then you will need special uppers, like from baseline or trick suspensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor