60’ capability with stk style suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdoprey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2022
Basically you have nothing usable. Start with a full cage tying the frame all together and then worry about suspension. IF it is a true 800 hp car, it should run 9.30's about 141 with 3200 total weight. Mine did. went 1.29 in 60' doing it.
I figured that I would be replacing most everything. Replacing with what is the question…?

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
A stout street car can tear the LCA mounts out of the frame. If you’re seriously racing the car and have sticky tires, welding in gussets is required, which is beyond bolt-ons. You can rip off a few good 60’ times with only bolt-ons but it’s only a matter of time before the grenade explodes.

Stiff bushing and solid bushings in a control arm will wreck a mount from articulation, even in a stock v6.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I figured that I would be replacing most everything. Replacing with what is the question…?
The stiffer you make the car body mounts, control arms, frame. The flex has to go somewhere. Poly mounts still have some( though more limited) flex. The next weakest part gives. Also you have to look at the defection of rearend, control arms, shocks,and weight distribution(gears and tires never forget tires!)
If you want handling and straight line you fight one over the other. You have to pick one to be more over the other.
If straight line is your choice but driving regularly you can add drop mounts to the bottom control arms to help rearend twisting and weight distribution. Or ladder bars and add almost none and increased weight transfer from further forward lifting the nose weight to the rear for traction. This leaves 4 weak points,drive shaft, u-joints, ring/pinion, and axles.
Many of the people on here building for drag racing will tell you there’s calculations to figure it out.
60’ times equal all this and end with the idea of 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile times.
Hopefully this sorts some stuff out. But on line you have to give all the information then see if the people with a lot more knowledge than me have your answer.
Also there are a number of threads here you can fallow to help you.
And something you can think about and have fun doing is go to grudge nights at the track. Then you can point and ask questions get pictures 😏😎

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
I have been 1.31 60' at 3550lbs. TRZ upper and lowers in the rear with trz anti roll. Front is all stock with full size front wheel and tire. On a 275 Street R

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Birdoprey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2022
I have been 1.31 60' at 3550lbs. TRZ upper and lowers in the rear with trz anti roll. Front is all stock with full size front wheel and tire. On a 275 Street R

That Monte was moving out!

Anything else done in the rear, like bracing, rear frame notching or ?

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
That Monte was moving out!

Anything else done in the rear, like bracing, rear frame notching or ?
It's a Strange 9" with an aluminum center and 35 spline axles, S-trac diff. Frame has a very small notch just at the rear of the frame arch.

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
No bracing where the upper and/or lower control arms attach to the frame?
Lower control arms yes. Haven't done the uppers yet. The 9" isn't braced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor