7.5 build up!!!!! where do i start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khari young

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2012
Im trying to beef up my 7.5 10 bolt in my 80 bu. The car came with the str8 6 and 1 legger rear with 273's. It now has a 327 .60 over, track1 heads and a 350 trans.... Mini spool, auburn, or a posi transplant ? gear ratio's? ect?????
But my question is where do i start and what parts do i need.... Please excuse my ignorance im a motor guy but willing learn...

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Well man there isn't alot ya can do but install a girdle cover. Welding the axl tubes to the case. Another option is buying a set of Grand National 28 spline axls, plus a richmond lock rite. But that IMO would be a waste because ya cant buy a C-clip eliminator kit. Plus by the time ya get all this done ya could of paid for a bigger upgrade.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Well I haven't started mine yet, but I've bought a lightly used 7.625" Limited Slip differential from a '96 Camaro. It came with the stock gears and a kit from Raetech with new bearings and shims and other stuff you'll need if you change the differential yourself, but as far as big parts go I've bought a girdle rear end housing cover and I'll also need 28 spline axles for this differential.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
The 7.5 rears are junk and meant for the 305 and small v-6 cars...they can't handle much power....what are your plans for the car, HP and Tq???? Race car , street or street/strip??

Khari young

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2012
the car is just a budget build street beater but i most deff want to do it right and make the first time the last time if ya feel me.... I also dont want to go broke trying to go fast. whats the most efficent yet cost effective way to get this done

solidlifter496

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2012
getting a 8.5 might be the better and cheaper choice. i dont know if g bodys ever had a 8.5 though.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
solidlifter496 said:
getting a 8.5 might be the better and cheaper choice. i dont know if g bodys ever had a 8.5 though.
The Buick Grand National, T-Types and Hurst Olds had them.......They are a bolt in deal. Only thing you gotta do is get your driveshaft cut 1"

RATRIDE454

n00b
Jun 27, 2012
THE 8.5 WOULD BE YOUR BEST WAY TO GO, NOW TO FIND ONE IS A LITTLE TUFF. YOU CAN USE A 10 OR 12 BOLT OUT OF A EARLIER GM. TO DO SO 1ST YOU WILL NEED THE OFFSET UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS OR LIFT BARS CHECK OUT UMI PERFORMANCE OR HR PARTS AND STUFF. 2ND YOU NEED OFFSET WHEELS BECAUSE THE REAR IS A LITTLE LONGER THEN THE G BODY. OR THERE IS A FEW COMPANYS OUT THERE THAT MAKE BOLT IN FORD 9" FOR UNDER A GRAND. YOU HAVE A FEW OPTIONS BUT TO BUILD THE 7.5 IS LIKE TRYING TO BUILD UP A CHEVY 305,

Khari young

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for all the input family.. I went with the ford 9 ,the whole shabang axles, disc brakes, ect.... My dad found one in Birmingham AL which is only a 2 hr dive form where i am.... Got it for 800 bucks. Some guys were closing their speed shop and had a damn fire sale.... :wtf: is what i thought at first but it was worth at least a look and it looked good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor