7.5 rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
Another example is a co-worker of mine has a 90-something Camaro with a dyno proven 550 horse LS1 (on spray of course) & his 7.5 took 3 yrs of street & strip abuse before it finally broke. He would average 15-20 times at the strip over the summer.

.[/quote]

was that a stock unit of a built one ? and if he was on spray does that mean that the rear only had to hold up to 550hp at the track ??

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
The 7.5 rears don't grenade just because of the horsepower. 550 on spray means that the slack in the drivetrain is already taken up when the full power comes on. 300HP with a standard trans, or doing a neutral drop, at the track is really pushing it. It's that initial jump off the line that will kill them.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
thats what i mean it 's the initial torque off the line that is gonna brake it so if your on spray you will leave with less torque than sombody with the same power on motor

husky100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2008
Elkton, Maryland 21921
I have a sbc alky motor with 625 on the fly. 7.5 aftermarket axles, eaton unit and so far so good. I dont plan on whackin with a brake. I pulled it from a 10.00 Malibu that is on racing junk right now in Willow Street PA. Its the red one with the 4" black cowl hood for 12,500. Rear worked perfect in that car. Previous owner just wanted to use the brake so he upgraded to a 12 bolt Moser. I made a few passes last year and no problems.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
whoa thats good to know man i am not going to be using a trans brake or any thing so i use good aftermarket parts i should be good

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
if you dont plan to beat the piss out you can get by with a factory posi carrier and a good set of gears. thats all i am doing to both of mine, cheap and easy! most of the people on here including myself most likely are not going to have 300hp+ to the rear wheels, if you are going past that then this topic likely would not have been posted. 7.5"s have a bad rep but they really are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. just my opinion...

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
oh i am pass 300 hp at the wheels by alot but i was just asking if anybody had ever build one for the fact that everybody says that ther are no good but is it just because that everybody says it or are they not worth keeping ? whats the week link what brakes on them ? is it the axles that dont last or the gears or the factory lsd unit ?

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
The 7.5's will last as long as you don't use drag radials or slicks.

I have an aftermarket 7.5 Auburn Posi Pro and it has taken its share of abuse over a few years.... on street tires though.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
yeah its hard to say with this kind of thing i guess what works for one guy may not work for the other but i just wanted to get a ballbark on what the 7.5 could handle just looking for what other guys where running and what there luck was

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor