7.5 to 8.2 - 10 bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuWagon83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
Could someone give me some information on swapping an 8.2 10 Bolt rear from a 7.5? I need to know if I'm gonna need control arms, or a driveshaft... I don't know.

Thanks,
Brandon.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Is there something very wrong with your current 7.5?

"Upgrading" to an 8.2 isn't much of an upgrade considering the amount of work involved. There are better options out there.

MalibuWagon83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
I'm 17 years old, I don't have a lot of money - I don't like 7.5 rear ends... my step dad has an 8.2 already built, just wanting to buy it off of him and put it in.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
TexasT said:
Is there something very wrong with your current 7.5?

"Upgrading" to an 8.2 isn't much of an upgrade considering the amount of work involved. There are better options out there.

It's a huge upgrade and not very difficult. An 8.2 can handle up to 500 hp. All it takes is conversion uppers which get rid of the binding in the OEM set up. If it's a 64-67 version then you might want to replace the lowers with a spherical or roto-joint since the pick up points on the axle is not as wide as what's on a G body or a 68-72 A body version. I have the 64-67 version and I got the bolts in for the lower but it's under stress. You will also find an improvement with the rear brakes as the wheel cylinder is installed with 2 bolts instead of that clip which lets the cylinder move around. Other advantages with the chevelle rear ends is with being wider than the G body it's more stable going around corners, you can run the same backspacing on all 4 corners and your rear wheels fill the wheel opening better.

MalibuWagon83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
Okay... that kind of threw me off a little. As far as I knew, I was only gonna have to buy the control arms from UMI Performance like you have to for the 12 bolt conversion.. is that what I'd have to do for my rear end? I'm sorry, I feel like I should know this stuff, but... I don't unfortunately. I'm just learning as I go along. I want to build just like a 13 or 14 second street car. I don't want nothing crazy. I've heard by many that the 8.2's are very good rear ends, and I really want to put one under my car. And I want to be able to put a wheel with 4.5 bs in the rear too.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's the same conversion uppers you'd use for the 12 bolt. I have a 67 8.2 with with 16 x 8" wheels, 4.5" BS and 245-50 tires and here's how it looks

Attachments

• P1010193.JPG
    P1010193.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 744

MalibuWagon83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
Okay, well I greatly appreciate it. I'll start saving money for the control arms and the rear. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor