7 Qrt Oil pan with Edelbrock Smog legal headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
I ran into a problem last night working on my friends 91 Camaro RS w/ TBI. We had swapped out the 305 and put in a 350/383 stroker motor with a 7 qrt Moroso oil pan and he also has the smog legal Edelbrock headers. The pipe that goes from the driver side header crosses over to the passanger side right in front of the oil pan and behind the frame. The pipe is just small enough to get between them rubbing all the way ( it may have to be ovaled to give some clearance between the 2) but comes up 1/2 inch away from the header as to lining up to bolt in in. Anyway this is where the problem begins and I was wondering if any one ran into this on there Mont Carlo with this swap because I have the same set up ready to put together to put into my Monte Carlo SS. If you have done this please let me know what oil pan you used. Hopefully this will save a little time if someone else has done this iff not I will put together a empty block and heads to try some test fitting. Is there enough room in the G bodies? Thanks for any help.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
if im reading this right, your going to run a single exhaust?

some pics would be good to.

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
I have the cat hollowed out and using it to equalize the two sides. In PA they have started the emissions and the local guy said to keep it as factory looking as possible. I have the torque tech 3" system.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
I have a feeling that the problem is the oil pan.
If you have the headers and crossover i think you have, it is made for a STOCK setup. and at least from the outside of the motor the only thing you said was different is the oil pan.

What kind of heads do you have?
are the exhaust ports in a factory location or are they relocated? (some high perf heads have the ports moved for better flow, which changes the position of the headers in relation to the block)

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
The heads are stock 882 heads so nothing changed. I did a little searching into it and F-body require special oil pans.

I haven't found anything special for the G body except for one oil pan which listed it as a G-body with X pipe. So if no one has worked with this on the G body I may end up building up a dummy motor to try my oil pan and headers on instead of getting the final motor built and having to pull the full thing out. Just use enough bolts to hold it together and get some measurements and test fit. I may have nothing to worry about with the Monte Carlo.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
IMO i would say just use a stock sbc oil pan.
Whats the reason for wanting the extra oil capacity?

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
There are 2 reasons for this. First he has to and so do I when you stroke a 350 to a 383 it uses the 400 crank so you need to have the oil pan profiled for it. Some choose to profile it themselves with a BFH and others choose to get a 400 oil pan. The other thing is we are going with a high volume oil pump and you can run the risk of sucking a 5 quart standard pan dry. Before any one jumps on that. I realize that there is still debate in if it does or doesn't. When you spend a couple thousand on a motor, a little more oil avialable can't hurt anything.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
oil pan

i use a 7 quart pan on my 350 crank 383 ....

i know some one will jump on this,i only put in 6 quarts and keep the oil off of the crank

mines a hamburger and the design of the trap door keeps the oil at the pick-up...

i use headman headers and a dual exhaust system.....if i remember the exhaust on the monte comes down behind the motor....but i'am not sure...jesse

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
correct me if im wrong but i thought the 400 sbc used the same pan as any other sbc

Monte SS 383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2007
Altoona PA
Yes and no. 305, 350, & 400 all use the same bolt pattern rear mains pending. However with the 400 the top of the pans are profiled for the large throw of the 400 crank. Ir you where to look at a 305/350 pan the sides near the top of the bolt flange are smooth. Now if you where to look at one for a 400 block near the top the sides are profiled at each rod throw to allow for the larger crank. Since we are using the 350 block with the 400 crank then we need a 400 pan. The 383 crank is a 400 crank turned down to have the 350 journals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor