Please Advise on total amount of AC oil needed

FStanley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2016
I have a 1979 Olds Cutlass. I have all new AC components. I am using an R4 compressor with R12 freon.

The way I read the factory manual for 525 Minerial Oil for each component is:

6oz Compressor
3oz Evaporator
1oz Accumulator
1oz Condensor

Thanks
Fred

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Seems like a lot.

Too much oil, IMHO.

Typically it’s 6 oz. total if you go by the label on the compressor. At least it is in mid-80s Cutlass.

The manuals give you oil amounts if you’re just replacing one component. At least the 84-87 manuals do. It can get confusing because if you add them up separately it’s more than what the label calls for.

3 oz. in compressor, 2 oz. in accumulator and 1 in the evaporator. You probably could go 2 oz. in the evaporator if you wish for a total of 7 oz. But I’d not go more than that.

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I think the total system capacity is between 6-8 oz. There are charts out there on the inter-webs.

Hutch

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor