700 r4 shift problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldscutt85

Apprentice
Jul 14, 2007
Camp Lejeune, NC
I have a 1990 blazer with a 350 tbi and a 700, the other it stopped shifting so i figured due to the lack of maint. from the previous owner i did a simple fluid and filter change. i checked all the wiring to the selenoids and they were fine, i put it all back together with no luck. A few days later i noticed the connectors on my coil were loose so i plugged them in all the way and from their it started shifting fine. the other day i had to hit the throttle and my passing gear kicked in and from their the problems started all over again. i just replaced the ignition module with no luck, i also started the truck and tugged on the tv cable to try and free up any crud in their and still nothing. im out of ideas and i only have 3 days to get the truck going before i leave for afghan any help would be great.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
So the trans is stuck in 1st all the time?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I would check the governor assembly and then check each individual valves @ valve body to make sure they are operating properly. I tend to think it's a line pressure issue.

I'm not sure I understand one of your comments though.
A few days later i noticed the connectors on my coil were loose
What coils are you talking about?

I am familiar with the early 700r-4's not the later electronically controlled ones. I have a transmission guide for general motors automatic transmissions. So any and all info and symptoms you can tell me can help to narrow down problem. I also have a buddy who owns a transmission shop so I can bounce the problem off him.

oldscutt85

Apprentice
Jul 14, 2007
Camp Lejeune, NC
it was the wires that go to my ign coil, i also noticed that ever since it stopped shifting the idle was a bit higher and also goes into gear the truck bounces forward

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Well this all could be a result of improperly tuned engine.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I would drop the pan, and see if the cable is operating valve properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor