700R4 with column shifter????'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
You will also need a 4 speed column or have to replace the rooster comb in the column
I dug around in some parts books. dont see any " rooster combs" in the column, just in the trans. only one part number listed for a tilt column and no trans specifics listed.

Only differance I know of are the back drive linkages and selector bracket are trans specific.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
There is a difference and I had to switch mine when I installed my lighting rods the three speed one was definitely different then the four speed one I’m not sure if I have pictures of that or not but illlook through my phone

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
2D87EF0C-A440-4520-B1E3-5F0119DE91B4.jpeg
Not mine but this is what it looks like I believe it may be called a detent plate

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Well I know I had to do it to make the column work just saying, and maybe I had two different styles of column but one would not allow got selection of all gears

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well I know I had to do it to make the column work just saying, and maybe I had two different styles of column but one would not allow got selection of all gears
You may be on to something there. I'm going to do more digging into the parts books. I'll dig into the illustrations part of it where it might show something. Hmmmm…...

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
The more I think about it my car was a 200 metric I went to 200-4r and I had the original column, a tilt column and a mystery column Of which one was a floor shift column and I took the best stuff and built what I needed and the shift rod came from a 4 speed car at a yard I found that out right away that it was different I wish I had taken more pic of that stuff I’ll ad that to the list of crap to pull down off the shelves to look at

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
View attachment 118598 Not mine but this is what it looks like I believe it may be called a detent plate
Ah, you know what, it's not just the detent plate in the transmission. I completely forgot that it's also requirement to pull the lever to get the car from D to 2nd or OD to D. Hence it needs a "detent" for more than just P and R. Makes sense. I've never had an A or G body with a column shift. Shows you what I don't know.

Column shift cars do have a "detent plate" aka "Gate, Shift Lever" as GM describes it.

I stand corrected. I originally missed this in the parts book. I went to the pages in the back of the section where they have a breakdown listing of all the part numbers and found the "gate" as it were. It's also in the illustration section of the parts book. Under group 4.027.

With column shifts, there are column gates but still, according to the parts book, it only shows whether it's tilt or non tilt with column shift. Only two part numbers from 82-88. Hence we're back to WTF about 3 or 4 speed column shifts. Nothing about whether you have MW9 or MV9, etc. According to the parts book for the B and G bodies from 82-88, there's one column shifter gate part number for G without tilt (7845130), and one part number for G WITH tilt (7835994).

That was a major faux pas on my part, and I apologize for the error.

This is what I get for only ever having floor shifters in a G-body. But I will still stand that there are no 3 or 4 speed version for floor shift columns. I've been inside enough of them to know there IS NOT a detent. At least I've never found one. The gate is on the floor shifter itself. The backdrive linkage controls the position of the lever/sleeve on the column.

I need to go back and delete all that other BS I was spewing earlier about column shifted cars. Again, my apologies.

#19 on the drawing:
standard AT column shift bowl parts pic.jpg

Gbody AT column shift gate part numbers.jpg

Here's a picture of the non-tilt Gate. Can't find one for the tilt gate.

7845130 G-body Column Shift without tilt pic.jpg

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
It’s no problem some day when I’m in that particular box I’ll pull the stuff out and Dissect it and see what columns I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor