700R4 with column shifter????'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I found a couple interesting threads on this subject. The first one has a post about half way down the first page by a member named Scorpion. He shows and details how he would modify the stop on the shift gate to allow for more movement.

I found this option in another forum thread explaining how he made up a whole new shift rod. but needed to fix the shift gate.

"I went and bought a piece of 5/16-24 threaded rod and utilized a bunch of pieces from the lokar kit. I made three bends in the threaded rod, one to get past the firewall and two others to get over to the transmission. I now am able to get all gears P,R,N,D,3,2,1. All of them click in nicely, except first gear which I'm barely reaching. I think with a stiffer rod I can get first to click in better. They all line up on the gear indicator as well, and the steering column locks into park. I would not have gotten first if I hadn't changed out the shift gate inside the steering column."

The best Pictures are from this thread about lengthening the shift rod.

The question I have left over is; what about extending the part of the shift arm that comes out of the bottom of the column? It would make the need for more travel in the column a moot point and force the rod to move further, possibly seating the transmission solidly into the first gear transmission detent. Thoughts?

driver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
I had a 86 suburban 6.2 diesel and took out the th 400 and put in a heavy modded 700r4
Made no changes on the collum onley the indicator had to be changed to od
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor