78 Buick Regal Pittman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and got my first g-body. Around here thats all you see. They are pretty easy to come by but the price is higher because everybody wants them. But anyways I have replaced every front suspension part except for the pittman arm. Now I know most people know that part doesnt wear easily but mine is. The problem is for some reason the splines on the pittman arm are worn out so they cause too much play in the steering. I bout one from a junk yard from a different year but it was too big. The problem is they dont make this part for that year. We dont really have 78 model lying around the junk yards. Anybody have any suggestions or know exact models that would fit just in case I come across one. Thanks

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Are you sure that is the actual problem? More likely is a bad steering coupler. It is a rubber disc that looks like a cut up piece of an old tire. It goes between the steering column and the steering box input shaft. They are like $10 from Autozone. Dorman's sells them through their HELP! line under part number 31002. It is important to get the right one. If you have the SAE box, it will be a different number than the Metric one I listed. Fortunately, it is also the easier one to find as it is shared with older GM and other cars using a Saginaw steering box. (Ford and AMC also used them)

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Different pittman arms were put on different models based on the powertrain and the year. Unclear why.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Are you sure that is the actual problem? More likely is a bad steering coupler. It is a rubber disc that looks like a cut up piece of an old tire. It goes between the steering column and the steering box input shaft. They are like $10 from Autozone. Dorman's sells them through their HELP! line under part number 31002. It is important to get the right one. If you have the SAE box, it will be a different number than the Metric one I listed. Fortunately, it is also the easier one to find as it is shared with older GM and other cars using a Saginaw steering box. (Ford and AMC also used them)

That could also be it but I also took it to two different shops to see what they say and they both said the same thing. When you turn the wheel you can see where its moving too much at the part connected to the drag link. I also went and bought another drag link and had the same problem. But its crazy because it caused my steering wheel to be crooked when I steered even after a wheel alignment but I lost control one night and hit my passenger side tire and it straighted it out but pulls to the right a little.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It sounds to me like you have more than just a bad pitman arm now! The accident probably bent something in the front end which "corrected" things. Also, when the pitman arm was replaced, it is possible then put it off by a spline or two when they reinstalled it. I have done this with steering box parts before, and had to "reclock" then before. This is possible any time you have splined parts that do not have a single locating spline that is different from the others for purposes of alignment. For oddball pieces for your front end, try a company called "Kanters". They deal in obsolete parts for a variety of makes, usually suspension and engine parts. Need a part for a Hupmobile? They probably have it.

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
Pitman Arm

Hello, new to the boards here. I have an 80' Cutlass Calais that I replaced the the steering box with the quick ratio unit from a 84' Buick GN.
Unit begins with a "Y" designation. Unit came with pitman arm already attached from the factory, and it was a simple bolt on. AFASIK any of the later year units should bolt right up. If you can't find one in a local junk yard, check ebay. S-10 boxs are also a bolt in.
If you are looking to find a 8.5 rear out of a Buick GN/turbo T or a Hurst Olds (reg 442's have 7.5" rears), grab the steering box with the pitman arm too, as they also have the quick ratio steering. The also have the proper stops so your tires won't rub when turning lock-to-lock. Many F body cars came with quick ration boxs too, but have different steering stops. These units will scrub your tire turning lock to lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor