78 cutlass calais project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2016
concordia kansas
hello all. new to forums. got me a olds cutlass calais . sat for 6 years but ran when parked. gots the normal roof rust. gunna bring her back to shine. but for 300 bucks couldnt pass it up. gettin hard to find g bodies out in kansas. everyone uses them for derby cars. not my first g body . had a 78 monte also. but first project.

Feb 15, 2016
concordia kansas
some pics of before i start

Attachments

• 2016-02-18 09.43.25.jpg
    2016-02-18 09.43.25.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 266
  • 2016-02-18 09.40.31.jpg
    2016-02-18 09.40.31.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 298
  • 2016-02-18 09.42.49.jpg
    2016-02-18 09.42.49.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 259
  • 2016-02-18 09.46.29.jpg
    2016-02-18 09.46.29.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 213

carnell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2015
Wisconsin
hello all. new to forums. got me a olds cutlass calais . sat for 6 years but ran when parked. gots the normal roof rust. gunna bring her back to shine. but for 300 bucks couldnt pass it up. gettin hard to find g bodies out in kansas. everyone uses them for derby cars. not my first g body . had a 78 monte also. but first project.

carnell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2015
Wisconsin
so hows the cutlass coming along ?? any new pics of your project well i to have 1979 cutlass
im currently making plans to get it going anyhow man lets network advice and ideas are always helpful thanks i will send you
a few pics of my ride

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
This caught my eye because I may be in the market for a 78 Calais in the near future. I think anyone restoring a G Body is a friend of mine, but feel I should mention this. There are very few parts for your body style. You're looking at a LOT of body work. So much so, that you may need a parts car or two to get what you need. It may be worth finding a solid driver (they're out there) for the project, and use the current for the parts car..

If the answer is "I can't afford a $5000 car note now", I would say that you will pour at least that in the current car and still not be done. If you can do your own body work then maybe, but there's a lot. I'm not trying to be a jerk by saying this, but I've seen quite a few friends that started with the same level of car and they never finished them or got them on the road again.

With all that said, I would love to eat my words and see that car totally restored. I wish you all the luck in the world. I also look forward to the build no matter what you choose to do.

Hutch

carnell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2015
Wisconsin
This caught my eye because I may be in the market for a 78 Calais in the near future. I think anyone restoring a G Body is a friend of mine, but feel I should mention this. There are very few parts for your body style. You're looking at a LOT of body work. So much so, that you may need a parts car or two to get what you need. It may be worth finding a solid driver (they're out there) for the project, and use the current for the parts car..

If the answer is "I can't afford a $5000 car note now", I would say that you will pour at least that in the current car and still not be done. If you can do your own body work then maybe, but there's a lot. I'm not trying to be a jerk by saying this, but I've seen quite a few friends that started with the same level of car and they never finished them or got them on the road again.

With all that said, I would love to eat my words and see that car totally restored. I wish you all the luck in the world. I also look forward to the build no matter what you choose to do.

Hutch
you must have the wrong person and
IMG_20160130_150624_578.jpg
car because my 1979 cutlass is for sure RUST FREE just wanted you to know that your great words of wisdom did not reach the the right guy

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
you must have the wrong person and car because my 1979 cutlass is for sure RUST FREE just wanted you to know that your great words of wisdom did not reach the the right guy
Why would he have been talking to you? This isn't your thread... He's obviously talking about dannymonte76's ride. You know, the car this thread is about.

Reactions: 1 user

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
There are very few parts for your body style. You're looking at a LOT of body work. So much so, that you may need a parts car or two to get what you need. It may be worth finding a solid driver (they're out there) for the project, and use the current for the parts car..

Hutch

Many people will knock what Hutch stated, but speaking from personal experience, I can truly relate to his wisdom. I'm 4 years into my project, so there's no turning back for me, but the body you're working on reminds me a lot of mine about 4 years ago. I didn't realize how much work I had cut out for me, but looking back at it, I've spent FAR more than I initially anticipated. I'm currently finishing up on metal work and they're about to start wiring as well. You have a lot of work cut out for you, so just make sure you are ready for the challenge. Either way, I'm also looking forward to following the build. I'm another HUGE fan of anyone working on a 78-80 cutlass.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/update-to-my-frame-off-restoration-1979-cutlass-calais.46332/

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor