78 Cutlass Salon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a factory option. Quadrajet equipped. Vin code R.

The oddest thing I thought is that later when I looked at two different Cutlass Salon 442 cars, they both had 305 Chevy engines from the factory! :wtf: :blam:

Well, what can I say? Sometimes there is no accounting for taste...

KrisW said:
It was a factory option. Quadrajet equipped. Vin code R.

The oddest thing I thought is that later when I looked at two different Cutlass Salon 442 cars, they both had 305 Chevy engines from the factory! :wtf: :blam:

Well, what can I say? Sometimes there is no accounting for taste...
Are you sure it wasn't a 260? 350 wasn't available in the 78 cutlass, even as an option.

I was 10 years old back then, so anything is possible. I do know that it had a Quadrajet, because my uncle rebuilt it and it was my first exposure to 4 barrel carb. I don't think the 260 ever had a Quadrajet.

I know it wasn't a Chevy engine (the Chevy starter was on the wrong side and wouldn't fit, according to my Uncle), but maybe it was a 301 Pontiac? I don't know; I always thought it was an Olds. It would have been around 1983 or so, so I doubt that the engine got swapped that soon. I thought for sure I was told it was VIN R 350, but if it wasn't available, then I guess it couldn't have been. I wish we had some documentation lying around now, because now I'm curious!

Kudos to the OP for putting one back on the road, regardless of engine choice!

I think the only a/g body car that ever got a 350 Olds was the '79 Hurst. Nevertheless, I still wouldn't mind finding a Salon or Century coupe one day. Months ago I came across a black Salon coupe in Indiana that was a diesel. The engine had already been pulled, it had an aluminum hood (& bumpers IIRC), and had hydroboost. It was pretty nice in the pics but the guy sold it before I could get to it. I could've built one hell of a sleeper out of that car.

G-Body_Vet said:
I think the only a/g body car that ever got a 350 Olds was the '79 Hurst. Nevertheless, I still wouldn't mind finding a Salon or Century coupe one day. Months ago I came across a black Salon coupe in Indiana that was a diesel. The engine had already been pulled, it had an aluminum hood (& bumpers IIRC), and had hydroboost. It was pretty nice in the pics but the guy sold it before I could get to it. I could've built one hell of a sleeper out of that car.

Thats what i want to do with mine but i want to keep somewhat stock. You dont see many real late 70's cutlass salon's that arent raped and pillaged into a drag car or having some idiot owner not realising that the car is actually kind of rare and has some oldsmobile history to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor