78 cutlass W-31 build

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The W31 had an extra thick balancer, like twice as thick. Does the 78 350 have a full size balancer or that little hub like the 260 and 307? Most had the full balancer, that should work. Personally I would swap out the cam for something more modern, if it is a W31.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The W31 had an extra thick balancer, like twice as thick. Does the 78 350 have a full size balancer or that little hub like the 260 and 307? Most had the full balancer, that should work. Personally I would swap out the cam for something more modern, if it is a W31.
I'll check that 78 350 is still in a car. Your description of the w-31 balancer sounds like a big block olds balancer those I have. And yes I'm swapping out the cam just using a mild street strip cam from something else. I want the car to be a reliable driver in fact no headers just manifolds. I did however port the heads for free power not radically just lost the ever bumps in the exaust and mellowed out the burrs on the roof of the intake side the bowels and teardrops on the guides look nice enough for what I want it for. Can those tiny balancers go on a 350? I'd like to just use everything off that 260

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I'll check that 78 350 is still in a car. Your description of the w-31 balancer sounds like a big block olds balancer those I have. And yes I'm swapping out the cam just using a mild street strip cam from something else. I want the car to be a reliable driver in fact no headers just manifolds. I did however port the heads for free power not radically just lost the ever bumps in the exaust and mellowed out the burrs on the roof of the intake side the bowels and teardrops on the guides look nice enough for what I want it for. Can those tiny balancers go on a 350? I'd like to just use everything off that 260
IMG_20140919_170714.jpg
so in digging threw my Oldsmopiles of parts I found that I have 3 of these gray aluminum rims and 7 in gold for my daughter's H/O and I think I'm going to paint a gold one to make a set for the 78. Dose anyone know the paint code for the silver/gray rims? Also can you recommend a tire size I was thinking 215/70/14 I want to fill the wells not rub and have a decent contact patch

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 260 balancer will fit but I would run a full size balancer on a motor that sees any rpm. The W31 balancer is even thicker than the BBO balancer.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
View attachment 64222 so in digging threw my Oldsmopiles of parts I found that I have 3 of these gray aluminum rims and 7 in gold for my daughter's H/O and I think I'm going to paint a gold one to make a set for the 78. Dose anyone know the paint code for the silver/gray rims? Also can you recommend a tire size I was thinking 215/70/14 I want to fill the wells not rub and have a decent contact patch
Here is the PPG codes.
1978 Olds special wheel colors:
Ebony Black 9300 (GM/Fisher 19)
Argent 8568
Silver Gray 32939
Yellow Gold 24149 (GM/Fisher 446)

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Here is the PPG codes.
1978 Olds special wheel colors:
Ebony Black 9300 (GM/Fisher 19)
Argent 8568
Silver Gray 32939
Yellow Gold 24149 (GM/Fisher 446)
Cool thanks I'll make some spray outs Monday at work we have PPG envirobace

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Cool thanks I'll make some spray outs Monday at work we have PPG envirobace
thanks everyone for answering all my questions so quickly I'm sitting in pen station wishing I was with my car to do the work lol but the wife wants to see a bonjovy concert. maybe tomorrow I'll get some work done

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
thanks everyone for answering all my questions so quickly I'm sitting in pen station wishing I was with my car to do the work lol but the wife wants to see a bonjovy concert. maybe tomorrow I'll get some work done
Still can't work on it it's Easter lol happy Easter to all

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Ok I started this build a while back so first give you the back story and catch you up. It 2 years ago when my friend Jose called me and asked if I wanted a cutlass he saved from a scrap man! All ready having the 79 H/O I now gave my daughter and my 87 cutlass I figured at best it would be a parts car. But when I got to his place I immediately thought wow my mom would love this car (mom ran a 63 327 Impala with a glide and 3:73 when I was a kid) she all ways had cutlass daily drivers so I thought it would make a great cancer remission present for her so I made a deal and brought it home. The scrap man had busted the steering column and trunk lock on the 20 k car that had been sitting in a garage since 1986 so I bought a parts car and started building it unfortunately mom's cancer came back and she lost that fight. She never got to drive it but she loved it and cried when I showed it to her. Upon her passing I was going to sell it. But then again.I had all the parts so here we go
Ok g body people I'm giving some thought to gears. I'm probably going to run a 215/70-14 with a th350 and it needs to be drivable on the highway so I was thinking 3.08? I have a stage3 carrier in my shed but it's from an S-10 and is probably 28 spline any input ?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor