78 cutlass W-31 build

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Nice score on the dual snorkel, they go for stupid money now. I made one out of my 260 and 307 air cleaner, looks a lot like the 307 HO air cleaner. Good score on the early 350 manifolds, I would grind the openings some. The Pypes down pipes will bolt to those with full 2.5" exhaust will be a big improvement over the factory 260 exhaust. The 260 cross over pipe is even smaller and stainless steel.
Yea I just cut the grass and got all the broken bolts out of the manifolds I was going to need blast the air cleaner but it won't fit in my blasting cabinet I guess I'll just da it. My brother actually had a friend of his ed that only deals olds parts bring them up from Delaware or Maryland for me he vends at a lot of swap meets on the east coast

Reactions: 1 user

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
I read/see you are using factory manifolds. Before you cap off the passenger manifold, get one from the passenger side of a 80's 307 Toronado. It fits as I used on the engine with out having to cap the manifold. More flow= better breathing.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I read/see you are using factory manifolds. Before you cap off the passenger manifold, get one from the passenger side of a 80's 307 Toronado. It fits as I used on the engine with out having to cap the manifold. More flow= better breathing.
I would.and this is going to sound nuts but I'm using a crossover pipe. And running a cat back system that I have from an 86 442 that was brand new for now part of this build is keeping it cheep by using mostly parts I already have and as a bonus it's macking room in my shed attic and garage however I'm missing a crossover pipe and I don't like the Walker ones at the local parts store.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would.and this is going to sound nuts but I'm using a crossover pipe. And running a cat back system that I have from an 86 442 that was brand new for now part of this build is keeping it cheep by using mostly parts I already have and as a bonus it's macking room in my shed attic and garage however I'm missing a crossover pipe and I don't like the Walker ones at the local parts store.
I say get a custom Y pipe made to tie into the system. The cross over pipe blows, don't spend any amount of money on one. I noticed a big difference going to a Hooker cat back from a single set up with a glass pack. Similar amount again or slightly more with shorty headers and compact xpipe into true duals tied into the Hooker cat back.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I say get a custom Y pipe made to tie into the system. The cross over pipe blows, don't spend any amount of money on one. I noticed a big difference going to a Hooker cat back from a single set up with a glass pack. Similar amount again or slightly more with shorty headers and compact xpipe into true duals tied into the Hooker cat back.
I understand but just not taking this car that far that's what my 87 is for it to has a thred if this car runs a reliable 14 in the 1/4 mile and is a pleasure to drive it's perfect. The idea is what doc Watson would have done if he had made a 78 W-31 kinda a theme but still a fun build I may make a crossover pipe out of bends and weld it up just not there yet

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I understand but just not taking this car that far that's what my 87 is for it to has a thred if this car runs a reliable 14 in the 1/4 mile and is a pleasure to drive it's perfect. The idea is what doc Watson would have done if he had made a 78 W-31 kinda a theme but still a fun build I may make a crossover pipe out of bends and weld it up just not there yet

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Ok so tonight when I came home from work I was going to bead blast the manifolds...then I started looking at them
IMG_20170501_173929071.jpg
i don't like transitional curbs
IMG_20170501_173939272.jpg
lumps
IMG_20170501_173909067_TOP.jpg
bumps
IMG_20170501_180022285.jpg
overcast
IMG_20170501_173858451.jpg
and or casting numbers were something is supposed to Flo

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor